which light of these 2?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by JJK, Jul 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

One more light question...I would like to add another T5 fixture to my tank. This would be to supplement my current fixture which is a Marineland 4-bulb T5 (216 W). Which one of these 2 would you guys pick?

a) Hagen Glo 2 bulb fixture (108W)
    b) Odyssea 4 bulb fixture (216W)

Normally this would be a no-brainer, but given that Odyssea does not make such quality products, and given that I have heard that, Watt for Watt, Hagen-Glo is a pretty powerful system (relatively), it is not such an easy choice.

BTW, I know there are much better systems out there, but not in my budget right now.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Out of the two, Hagen has a better reputation. Luna

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have seen a Hagen Glo in action, and my opinion of them is NOT good. At least as bad as the Oddyseas.
    Why not save up for a good, proper fixture and stop meddling with numerous low dollar ones? ;)

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would decide by what type of bulbs come in them. doesnt the glow come set up to grow plants?

6. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

+1, I vote patience. I know it's hard and sucks to wait but in the long run it's going to be better/cheaper. Is something in your tank going to die without the addition of these new lights?

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I can't understand what the detractors of the Hagen Glo are talking about. I have one and it is by far is a superior fixture to my Nova extreme. The detractors do not give any reasons. And, no, it doesn't come set up to grow plants. You chose the bulbs. I love mine, intense light and the multiple combos you can come up with make it versatile. The bracket kit is a real plus, it allows you different height adjustments and can be angled for adaptation. It is a nice fixture and I recommend it.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Odyssea just came out with the T5 pro with built in digital timer, one power cable, individual reflectors. They are trying to make a small comeback with these new fixtures. They have all of the expensive extras that a great fixture would have, but just manufactured cheaper. I saw them going for $120. Just an FYI

10. invert phil

invert phil Millepora

North Yorkshire, England, Europe, Earth, Milkyway,
    I agree, I have no complaints with my Hagen GLO. Works brilliantly.

11. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I just looked at that new Odysea pro that Matt mentioned and WOW!, it is a sweet unit. I am considering it to go along with my Hagen glo. Thanks Matt.

12. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

Write up a review about it. I want to know how cheaply made it is compared to previous units. It looks like it has some amazing features but I'm sure its still on the low quality end. Let us know, I'm sure there are other curious people out there.