which light for a 120

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by yamaharider73, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I've got a question. I am setting up a 120 gal reef tank. The tank is 48 x 24 x 24. I would like to be able to have the option of keeping all types of corals if I chose. I currently have leathers, button polyps,mushrooms,star polyps now and would like to get clams,brains etc. I am currently looking at 2 different lighting options. The 1st light I am looking at is a nova extreme pro t5 ho 6x54 the 2nd light is an odyssea MH 2 x 250 with 4 x 65 PC and 6 moon lights. I would like to know if anyone has these lights and if so pro's and con's with them. My LFS has recommended the t5 over the MH due to heat and overall cost to operate. I would like to know what others would reccomend and why. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Odyessa has ballast problems. They underpower and often fail.

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I take it since you are looing into those particular fixtures you are either A. On a tight"er" budget or B. Don't know of many other better fixtures out there....

I would agree with Ocean the Odysea has had terrible reviews for years, bad wiring, poor quality components, shorts and even fires... Supposedly this has all been revamped and fixed up... I still wouldn't trust it, I look at it this way its like getting cheated on you will never fully trust Odysea again...
    The NEP is decent, a entry level light that is bordering on the intermediate hobbyist stage... Here are MY qualms with it.... Lamps are junk, SLRs aren't that great, they don't even cover the entire lamp properly, and the aluminum isn't as good as it should/could be. If you wanted to go T5 on a 120 I would strongly recommend a 8 lamp fixture for best coverage on that wide tank...

If you want MH I would go with a 2x250w, with 2 or more supplemental T5s....

Some recomendations be them pricey are the Maristar, Constellation, Tek 8 lamp, Solar Flare(even though its six lamp) Power Module....Aquactinic's MH/T5 combo... Coralvue's MH/T5 retros or heck even piece together your own...

Are you set on a fixture? Do you have the option for a retro?
    What approximately is your budget?