Which is the Safest Dosing Method

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Servillius, Dec 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm curious which dosing method is least likely to cause problems. Please keep in mind the potential risks in an ULNS. Safe, in my mind, requires that the method not have a risk of driving alk too high if not monitored obsessively (weekly tests are reasonable, daily is a bit much).

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Servillius

really depends on what demand you have going on in the tank?

if its limited demand, than a weak Kalkwasser solution delivering both Calcium and Alkalinity could be one method to consider

How big is the tank?
    as a 2 part may also be something to consider

Steve

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm currently using two part and I dose about 30ml a day on my 60 gallon. My sps is starting to grow pretty fast though and that consumption is going up. I'm quite happy with the two part, but if something causes the growth rate to slow down (let's says I don't notice a phosphate increase or some other problem for a few days), my worry is the alkalinity will climb. I don't want to turn a small problem into a big one by spiking my alkalinity as well.

Since there is no good automated alkalinity controller, I'm wondering if a calcium reactor is less prone to this sort of problem.

5. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Once you get your average dose down, testing once a week is more than enough to keep your parameters in line. Even if you have an event that slows growth down, it won't go to nothing. I've only had to make very minor adjustments in about two years of two part dosing, and it has only steadily increased. I'm using a little over 200ml/day of recipe two in a 125.

6. Mhayes462

Mhayes462 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Kalkwasser, kalk, limewater. Whatever you wanna call it. Super easy, stabilizes the params. Best in my opinion. Doesn't create swings or anything.

7. symon_say

symon_say Astrea Snail

Kalk in ATO and dosing pumps.