Which is the best way? MH, T5 or LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by cbchamby, Aug 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Only downside to t5ho lights is with a 4 bulb unit replacement bulbs cost $100 each 6 months to a year :-/

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Did I mention you wouldn't have to buy ANY bulbs for over 15 years?

That one pont sold me on LED's ove any of the other, change the bulbs abourt every year stuff.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

According to manufacturers spec...has not been field tested to 15 years. ;)

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Even if the leds do last that long I highly doubt my fixture would.Its already rusting the fan guards in a few months over a glass covered(for the most part) tank.:(

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Also...to add to this point, most manufacturers state "X" amount of hours for the life of the diode, not "X" amount of hours until the spectral shift that it will endure over its life. A MH lamp doesn't die after a year...its spectrum output changes to a less usable spectrum, hence the need to change bulbs.

7. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

If your diodes are properly cooled, they will not shift in spectrum. After their rated hours, if properly cooled, they fade to 75% power, they do not extinguish. Any spectral shifts I have ever heard of, ever, were from fixtures with no fans to cool the diodes. They got too hot, and the spectrum shifts. Keep them cool, and the spectral shift will not occur.