Which is the best way? MH, T5 or LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by cbchamby, Aug 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cbchamby

cbchamby Plankton

I need help! I am upgrading to a 75 gallon tank and need to know which is the and most cost effective way to go about lighting. Keep in mind we would like to try and avoid a chiller, and would have to be able to purchase a variety of coral. Also the tank comes with 2 T5 fixtures. If i decided to go the T5 route, would 2 be enough?

Thank you for your help! It is much appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

2 bulbs would not be enough for anything more than polyps and softies. I would do at least 4-6 bulbs. On my 75 i ran 8 T5 bulbs and had great luck with almost all corals.

As far as what to buy between MH or LED it is really a personal preference. I am a MH fan, and will not go to LED. There are others on here that would never have a MH to save their sole.

IMO........LEDs right now, even though the price is common down, still is outrageously expensive. You can get cheap LEDs however they will not support many corals. So it is up to you. I love the way LEDS look but like I said, I would not get them.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

There are some resident LED experts here, so they can better answer this, but you should be able to get two LED dimmable fixtures for your 75 that will allow you have whatever you want for somewhere between $400-600. When you factor in bulb replacements on a T5, you may find that LED's are not that expensive in the long run. As far as which is better for corals, that is something that has been debated here on multiple threads! Search for them and you will see what I mean!

Either way, figure out what you want to keep and then see what your lighting requirements are. Then find the fixtures that will give you that lighting and see what works with your wallet :)

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

When you say 2 T5 fixtures how many bulbs??:confused:

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

IMO,the cost of good quality m/h bulbs alone makes it the least cost affective,which is one of the main reasons I'm swithing from m/h to led.The heat they produce is also a big factor to me as I don't like to use a/c.I prefer open windows as much as possible.

7. cbchamby

cbchamby Plankton

Vinny- sorry for not clarifying. There is place for only 2 t5 bulbs right now.

Thank you everyone for the input. It really helps!

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

honestly, if you are trying to get the lowest cost lighting, I would just find a 6-8 bulb T5 unit

I like the aquaticlife fixtures a lot as they have built in timers in them. Ask your LFS and watch on craigslist as a 75g tank is very common and I bet you could find some used ones. I know at my LFS we have couple used lights. I do recommend with any used light fixture to just go ahead and replace all the bulbs as it can loose its par when they get 8 months old or so

Amazon.com: 48 in. AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture - 6 T5 & 4 Lunar LED: Pet Supplies

10. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

DIY led fixture or reefbreeders led fixture

11. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

NO offense there,

But my two simple TaoTronics non dimmable fixtures, each about 110$ shipped, are kicking ass, even with all my SPS corals. Sol to say the 'cheaper' LED's won't support many corals is.....VERYT misleading!

And on my review thread, some one has even talked with the manufcturer in China, and has them customizing with a few otjher colors and on a dimmable fixture, at no extra charge.

There are awesome deals to be had out there, which is one reason I'm even in this hobby, when my main love is sailing F18 spinaker rigged extreme sport sailboats!

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

A 4 bulb T5 will be more then enough for any corals you choose.Maybe just add another 2 bulb fixture to your existing unit.;)