Which is the BEST salt mix brand?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by CyberGuy, Sep 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CyberGuy

CyberGuy Plankton

Which is the BEST salt mix brand? Is Oceanic a good brand?

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Every one has their favorite salt mix. I use Oceanic in my FOWLR tank and Reef Crystals in my Reef tank. I used to use Kent Marine and havent really notice any difference among them. Oceanic had its problems at first with varying Calcium levels but they seem to have ironed things out. If you also check out who makes the various brands you will see that many brands of salt are made by the same company.

4. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

hands down.....tropic marin pro-reef. i don't even dose supplements anymore, my calcium always hits between 420 and 450, alkalinity is always between 3-3.5 meq/L and ph remains stable at 8.3.....(@ a temperature of 78-79 degrees)

1 person likes this.
  5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Many of the salts are pretty similar, infact many are made by the same manufacturer. Their are subtle differences in some salts. For instance Oceanic contains more calcium than other salts. Kent's salt and reef crystals, I believe, have added trace minerals. You really cant go wrong in the salt you chose. Price is usually a defining factor in salt purchases!

1 person likes this.
  6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Just out of curiosity Jon what are you paying for a 200g bucket?

J

7. Jason McKenzie

My attempt to have a multi national salt test to determine what salt is for you can be found HERE

The more participants the better
    J

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

I've always had good success with Coralife salt mix-

10. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

:)

yes, the tropic marin can be a little more expensive.....but i only have a 15 gallon tank. i bought a 200 gallon bucket for $60 about six months ago and i've barely tapped into it. i commit to a 15% water change once a week (around two gallons) and if i keep going at this rate, the tub will probably last me at least 18 months to two years....

jason, next time i do a water change (less than a week) i'll write up those numbers for your other thread.....

11. Jason McKenzie

That would be Great Jonathan.

I have heard it is more money but I'm waiting right now for a LFS who is about to start carrying it. So I'm very curious as to the price difference

J

12. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I use seachem for now... Started with reef crystals, switched to kent then to seachem. Im happy with seachem for now... next water change ill try to remember posting some numbers for ya J.

Marc.