Which Ecoxotic LED's to upgrade with?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by ShanoMac, Jan 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ShanoMac

ShanoMac Plankton

After consulting this venerable forum about how to upgrade my stock 72W PC 24 g JBJ Nano Cube. I went with the advice of the forum and am going to retrofit my hood with Ecoxotic LEDs. At the moment, the plan is one 12 inch 445nm Stunner, and 2 12 inch Panorama Pros. My question is whether this is a good combination, and which wavelengths of light should I get for the 2 Panorama Pro's? Also, how necessary are the reflectors.

I already purchased the Royal Blue Stunner, the reflector and the 60W transformer. I am waiting to purchase the other lights until my replacement hood parts come in. (The plastic lens and gasket were deteriorating).

Any opinions you all have would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

subscribed! I have three panorama pro modules arriving tomorrow (blue, 12k white/blue, and blue/magenta)

trying to find ways to a) acclimate all my corals and b) mount them to my biocube lid

4. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

sounds like a plan, i would consider either getting one all blue and one all white, or just getting two half blue half white ones. they are great lights and will look great over your tank.

5. kukulkan

kukulkan Astrea Snail

I don' think you really need the reflector for the nano you should be installing the panoramas on the reflector that is already there. Well that is what I did on my 12g. and is looking good what I'm not sure is if I should remove the splash guard for better light penetration, I don't know if that will make a difference at all.

6. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

the reflector wont do anything, the reflector he is speaking of just spreads the light out instead of focusing it downward to get more out of the fixture. the led's just shine down into he tank otherwise.

its fine to remove the splash gaurd because the fixtures have a coating to keep the salt creep off and they are also water tight.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i just installed 3 panorama pro modules (12k white,blue - blues - blue/magenta)

i would definitely go with the 12k white,blue and the blue/magenta for your tank. it would look beautiful. these lights bring out color i never knew any of my corals ever had! so far i am very pleased with what Ecoxotic has done with these reef LEDs compared to other modules that i've seen. Definitely going to stick with these in the future when I get a larger system.

The only thing is I wish they had a controller that would change the intensity throughout the day. That would be something worth buying!

8. Click Here!

9. MinimumPhase

MinimumPhase Astrea Snail

Just bought the 24" panorama fixture (with 3 12K white/445nm blue and 2 445nm blue) with an RGB strip, waiting on them in the mail. I've heard that the Stunner Magenta/453nm Blue looks really great. Anyone know what you would need an ultraviolet LED strip for?

10. ShanoMac

ShanoMac Plankton

Thanks for the replys everyone. After much deliberation I think I am going with the two white/blues, and maybe spring for a magenta stunner to get some added color in there. I am tempted to get one white/blue and one blue/magenta, but am worried there wont be enough white light. I'm not even sure why that is needed, but like the great President George Walker Bush, I go with my gut. I will post a pic when I install my stunner and again when I install the panoramas.

P.S. That was sarcasm. George Bush was and is still a ****.

11. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

HAHAHAHA. I plan to get two blue/white panorama pros with the dimmer down the line so I can have more corals.

12. kukulkan

kukulkan Astrea Snail

The description of the panoramas in different sites explain all the above mentioned, Ecoxotic customer service don't recommend to get them expose to or close to the water surface :confused:
    Thanks