which corals for my tank

Discussion in 'Coral' started by kFAMOUSK, Oct 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kFAMOUSK

kFAMOUSK Skunk Shrimp

What are the easy corals to keep i currently have a tank that is L48/W18/H30 i have live rock up to about 25-20 inches of live rock i have power compact lights 2 blue 2 white 60 w each it currently houses 3 small hippo tangs 1 sailfin 5 inch 1 naso 7 inches 1 clown fish hosting bulb anenome 1 cleaner shrimp 20 hermits 1 sand sifting star i strawbery crab some other wierd red crabs dont know what they are. i also have 3 diffrent types of mushrooms and some polyps on a rock what other corals can i keep in my tank with my lighting ans such a deep tank.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

whats the gallonage of your tank, also 30 is pretty high, so what every you get needs to be placed at the top of the tank

4. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

How long has the tank been up? How many gal is it?

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Sounds like you have a 120. Those PCs aren't going to penetrate very far at all. Sostoudt is correct in that you will have to keep corals that require light in the top 12 inches of your tank. Softies and some LPS. Look at my signature to see what I have been able to keep in my tank. I run 4x55W and 2x65W PCs. If you upgrade, you are going to need MH. Think about it now if you are going to go reef.

6. kFAMOUSK

kFAMOUSK Skunk Shrimp

HA i know this sounds lame but Mh are expensive and wont they heat up my water and evap it to a point where i need water top off. will i need 250s or 450s or what i might just seel my pc or can i keep those too

here is a pic of my tank and mushrooms

Attached Files:

7. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

You could do t-5 but you have a pretty deep tank. A lot of corals will have to be real high with your PC's. New lighting should be seriously considered.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes halides put out alot of heat and cause evaporation, t5's would be better then pcs, but they only go around give good lighting for the first 20"s or so. it doesn't mean the bottom of your tank will be black, just not coral quality brightness. you could do 2x 250's and you would be just under 4 wpg. right now you could have some mushrooms, zoas, gsp, and a couple other at the top of your rock.

10. kFAMOUSK

kFAMOUSK Skunk Shrimp

how far down will 2 250s let me go if i keep my pc and throw the t5s on as well will that be better

11. kFAMOUSK

kFAMOUSK Skunk Shrimp

aslo my anenome is about 23 inches down how is this possible

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

2 250's will let you get down to the bottom 5' inches, so at the bottom i would only keep softies, but above ten inches you could pretty much keep anything. if you want to hit the bottom with max intensity you would need 400 watts halides, but that would be to much heat with out a chiller.