Which controller tests for common elements?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by bigdookie, Mar 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

Is there on that constantly tests for nitrates and nitrites as well as ph? I really hate fiddling with test strips.

Any help is appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Not that im aware of. So you use test strips currently?

I got bad news, those are usually highly inaccurate. I would suggest a quality set of test kits from red sea or salifert.

4. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I just bought the basic API test kit & then the RedSea ca, mag, alk kit & bought phosphate test seperatly. Since I can't find an all in one kit. But API sells two kits that covers your basics. It's the liquid test kits.

5. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

any links to the particular ones you just bought?

i have used the strips in the past. my tank is no longer up, but im getting back into things and im waiting for my new jbj aio to arrive. last time around i had a bunch of stuff die, so im trying to take it slow and get better equipment this go round.

thank you for the responses btw!

6. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Sorry but I haven't figured out how to find links on pages from my iPhone. You can search marinedepot.com that's where I got mine.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

No,not really, test kits are part of the hobby.... Algae is probably the most reliable indicator of N though to be honest... Some web searching will show that N test kits can differ by a really, really large amount and aren't accurate. Luckily this doesn't seem to matter much as long as algae isn't an issue :)

8. Click Here!

9. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

You can get a ph orb that will constantly update but you're SOL on the 2 Ns

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

As far as I know, you should never have any measurable nitrites in an established tank. So that would be a waste IMO. Almost any of the controllers out there come with or have the option to add a pH probe for constant pH monitoring. They make electronic "pinpoint" nitrate monitors, but from what it seems, these are actually best used to occasionally check nitrates and not continuously monitor. I would say to just get a quality nitrate test kit and be done with it. I think the Red Sea kit is a good one, but there could be others.

11. bigdookie

bigdookie Astrea Snail

But with liverock and sand, doesnt it act as a buffer for the PH to keep it at an acceptable level anyhow?

Hate to take this in another direction, but this leads me to ask...

Are controllers mainly to turn lights on and off, and to control wave makers? What else are the controllers able to do?

12. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Control heaters, chillers, reactors, dosing, ph orb, salinity orb, auto top off, auto water change, alarms, fans, lights. They do it all.