Which combination of T5's work best?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by marlinman, Feb 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I have a 48 x 24 120g reef tank with an 8x54 T5 retrofit. This light is way too bright but it could be my own preference.:-/ Yes my corals are doing well but the light is causing too much green algae as the day goes on. I have 4 460 blue actinics and 4 10,000K daylight bulbs. I've read somewhere that a fellow reefer mixed the Kelvins for his setup. Has anyone experienced this same situation? I'm willing to do what it takes to cut down on the algae. All my water parameters are fine. Need some help.:-/

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Everyone with t5s seems to have their own bulb combination that works for them. You'll have to play with different amounts of daylights and actinics and different brands and kelvins until you figure out what works for you and your tank. Also, if you have a relatively young tank the algae is most probably normal. My tank just hit 6 months and the algae is starting to disappear.

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

try throwing in some 14k they have a little more blue. is your tank glass? because i have noticed that 10k in glass will turn a green color [because the glass has a green tint]

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Use a even mix of UVL Actinic whites and their super actinic Makes for a solid 14 to 15 K used this combo for many yrs with VHO and it is kicking also with the T5 bulbs have an internal reflector and are the best bar none on the market . I'd doubt any who took this advice would disagree .

6. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

did you get that light from buildyouraquarium.com?

7. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

You don't need all that light with those corals

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Yes I did but I think my tank is still new and algae blooms are more probable because of that. The reflectors are kicking out some serious light and I put some aquacultured rock that may still need time to cure. I'm lightening up on putting anything else in the tank and let it run it's course. Is there a safe additive I could use to cut down on the algae?

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Maybe he is planning on getting more corals that need that much light. Nice fixture, I also agree with Tangster on the UVL bulbs, he advised me to use them months ago. I bought a mixture of UVL bulbs and ATI and prefer the UVL bulbs way more.

11. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I also agree. I took the advice on the uvl combination and love it.

12. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Yeah, that additive's called Time and scrubbing! Are you running any kind of GFO reactor Media or Reactor? I am using a Bulk Reef Supply Dual Reactor and have found that my time spent cleaning the glass is very minimal