which clam should I get?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by starfish2217, Jul 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

I really want a clam, I had a purple one but it died due to my poor water quality after vacation :'( soooo I just want to know what kind would be best not to sensitive to changes... most hardy/ beautiful.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

It would be good to click on clams in the forum list,a good way to research the needs of a clam.Some other members would probably be happy to offer advise if you could give some more info on your setup.

4. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

derasa or squamosa are good starter ones.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I would say none meet your need. You need a stable tank for clams. Going on vacation shouldn't impact them (i.e. ATO, auto dosing, etc. to keep tank stable).

6. starfish2217

yea I have issues with keeping my tank stable when my mother over feeds them twice a day and your nitrates spike. :S dramatic I know. yet they weren't to hot to begin with. I have done massive water changes and cleaned it out. My nitrates are zero so I am ready to start choosing a new one...

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

and your mother has been properly educated so as not to do this again?

Clams can be tricky enough as is... Good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Right on. All clams are sensitive to changes in water parameters, as are most animals we have in our tanks, just some more so then others.

One important question is what type of lighting do you have?

10. starfish2217

haha yeaaaa its not happening again. she watches me feed them and I told her how but it didn't work out. I had to go visit my grandmother for a week not optional, so no more vacations for me. I have a 14 gal bio cube. I just replaced both bulbs. I don't think lighting was the issue it was my fault my nitrates were way to high and I knew it before I left. My poor tank keeping I know it was my fault I don't blame her but it just didn't help any. Im trying my best to maintain my tank and keep it in perfect condition.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

;) GM means what lighting you have for the clams... not bc of the nitrate.

Clams are very sensitive to different types of lights... so in determining which is best for you, your bulbs will play into the suggestion.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Yea, I meant PC, T5, MH? That will play a big factor.