Which CA Reactor?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ZachB, Mar 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

So, I'm trying to narrow down which calcium reactor to purchase. I'm kind of on the edge between the Geo 612 or the Octopus Dual chamber.

Who here runs a calcium reactor? Which one do you have? Which do you recommend?

It will be controlled by my Apex so pH monitors are no concern.

2. Click Here!

3. slocal

slocal Doot!

I use the Korallin C-1502 Reactor for my 80g SPS tank. I'm very happy with this. The LFS is always stocked with exchange bottles. That was my biggest worry.

If I were to change one thing, it would be to have waited for swcskimmers.com to start carrying SWC's line of calcium reactors. The prices are friggin awesome. Maybe CJ (coloradoreef) or mikejrice can inquire about distributing these suckers.

saltwaterconnection.com

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Thanks ... I'll look at the Korallin - how is your pH?

For the price of the SWC CA reactor's I would get the Octopus, they're cheaper. The Dual Octo is $320 at AquaCave.

5. slocal

slocal Doot!

My pH hovers at 8.3 to 8.4 on my 80g. I can't comment on the Octo. I've never owned one of their products but I can attest to the thickness and quality of SWC's parts. I'm sure both are very viable options.

6. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

You can't get any better calcium reactor for the price than a GEO. Seriously, they are so efficient with the CO2 that none of it gets wasted. The GEO's don't need a second chamber and are easily the best designed reactor out there.

Don't get a milwaukee regulator at all costs though. The only ones that are good are the reef fanatic regulator and the aquarium plants one. there is one other funky one that is great, but it is pricey. Even the tunze one is cheap and will fail way too early.

I would definitely not run a reactor without a ph controller. Without a controller, you are playing with fire and can nuke the tank.

I use a GEO 618 with a reef fanatic regulator, a milwaukee Ph controller (those are totally fine). I use caribsea course ARM media and a 5 lb co2 tank lasts around 6 months on my SPS dominant 200g tank.

1 person likes this.
  7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Thanks for the insight! I will not be going without a pH regulator. The Apex will act as the controller and will have 2 pH probes - one for the reactor and one for the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

You mean controller;)

Sounds good:)

Also, GEO's use eheims for the recirc pumps. You can't beat that.
    GEO has been making reactors longer than anyone, and they are a very nice easy company to deal with in case you ever need advice or simple things like replacement o rings.

One thing to look for is how easy it is to put in new media. I know GEO's are simple to do this. Many others are not so easy to open up.