Which Bulbs

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by scr3wlo0se, Sep 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. scr3wlo0se

scr3wlo0se Plankton

Hello everyone.

I'm still a little new to this but i've got a 75g that I have been slowly in the process of setting up. Right now i'm working on the lighting and want to make sure i get the right bulbs.

I just finished a customer canopy with all IceCap Ballasts that contains the following:
    • 4 - 48" T5's
    • 2 - 250w HQI
    • LED Moon lights (DIY)
    • Adding submerged LED underglow lights right now (DIY)
    If anyone can provide me with some details on which bulbs i should choose that would be great. I've seen a lot of defferent threads on lighting but sofar it has all but confussed me.

Thanks,

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Depends on the type of corals you want to keep. Mushroom and easy stuff like that then the T5's will do but if your up for the challange of SPS then you will need MH's and I would get South Pacific Sunlight (SPS) 14k. You will also need some Actinics too.

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

If you have put both the T5's and the 2 MH fixtures in there, then I'd use the true blue actinic bulbs (420 nm) for the T5's and use what Otty said ^ for the MH. Some people prefer 10K over 14K, but all brands will vary in light intensity and spectrum (color). Use either white or blue LEDS for the moonlights, it's all your preference when it comes to color. You shouldn't need more than 4 moonlight LEDs over a 75 gal.