Which bulb to swap out for KZ fiji purple?

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by JJK, Sep 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

As of last night I have a new lighting system for my 90g - it is 8 x 54W T5. I currently have the following bulbs running
    4 x actinic
    3 x 10000K daylight
    1 x 12000K actinic white

I also have a KZ Fiji Purple bulb that I would really like to use, since I hear that they accentuate reds very nicely. Which of the above bulbs should I swap out for the fiji purple?

2. Click Here!

3. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Honestly I could see you swapping any of them out... What order are they in? And when you say daylight what do you mean? 6000k, 10000k? What brand?

4. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

The actinics and 10000K bulbs are from Marineland (came with my marineland fixture). My 12000K is UVL. When I say daylight, it's just because that is what the label says on the 10000K bulbs, just as the 12000K one says actinic white. I am considering swapping out one of the 10000K bulbs for the fiji purple, so as not to lose the blue-ness of the tank. But not sure whether that is advisable.

5. Dr.Fragenstein

Gotcha... Oh, that fixture has ONE parabolic reflector as compared to SLRs correct? I just want to make sure I know what fixture you are talking about....

I would put the Fji Purple more in the middle as compared to the ends...

Maybe
    Actinic
    Day
    Actinic
    Fiji
    UVL
    Actinic
    Day
    Actinic....

6. JJK

JJK Teardrop Maxima Clam

Ok, thanks for that advice. Just to be complete, though, I should tell you that I have 2 4-bulb fixtures. The Marineland toward the front of the tank (with one parabolic reflector) and behind that fixture is my new Tek fixture (4 bulb) with individual reflectors. With this in mind, which bulbs are the more important ones that should go in the Tek?

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Tek
    Actinic
    Uvl
    actinic
    fiji
    Marineland
    day
    actinic
    day
    actinic
    But in all reality it wouldn't really matter too much if you deviated from that... Try this first if you don't quite like how it looks swap them around a bit.

1 person likes this.