Which BRS 2 part?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by xmetalfan99, May 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have never ordered BRS 2-Part.

I am looking at the 2-part starter kit and the 2 part calc and alk total package.

Which 2-part package should I get and why? Do you dose daily or as needed?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I dose daily.

IME solution 1 causes more calcium carbonate growth on equipment than solution 2.

Solution 1 alk causes your pH to go up and that is why there is more precipitation on equipment.

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I would go with the 2-part total package. The "starter kit" gives you pouches that are premeasured, but cost more. The total package gives you bulk containers of each part.

You'll probably want recipe 1, that's what most people use, but it's a matter of whether you want your pH raised or lowered by the dosing.

I would also go out and buy a funnel and a set of measuring cups for use with this. It's impossible to put this stuff in the jugs without a funnel.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I would just buy the bulk calcium and magnesium and then use Randy Farley's recipe for making your own Alk solution with baked Arm&Hammer baking soda. It'll save you a few bucks on a product you are going to use a lot of.

1 person likes this.
  6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I don't mind spending the extra bucks on something that will be an all in one.

Since recipe 1 makes your pH go up, what if your pH stays stable at an 8.3 now?

7. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

It only goes up temporarily. And you should only be dosing small amounts so the pH increase should be very minimal.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

How many gallons of mix does the 3.5lb containers make? Trying to decide between the large and small packs now.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Get the large ones they are good for about 7 to 8 gallons.

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Would anyone recommend using somethign else over the BRS 2-part? I have a friend that uses ESV 2-part with great success and have been looking in to their products as well. Cost is not an issue.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

There's really no difference between different two part solutions, beyond the work involved and minor contaminants (the most prominent example in my mind being Kent Tech M).