which brand of UV is better?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by dumbderk, Apr 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

I was looking into getting a UV light for my tank and am debating between 2 different models the Odyssea UV 18 Ultraviolet Sterilizer and the Coralife 18watt Turbo-Twist 6X. Which is the better option for my 160gallon including sump tank. The odyssea is cheaper but am I sacrificing function for cost?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I would say go with the turbotwist out of the two of them, but would suggest the aqua ultraviolet 15watt advantage + inline over the two of them.

4. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

Says that product is only rated for a 75gallon aquarium

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

It is all about the flow through the unit. The less flow the better it will do. a 3watt difference is not much of a sacrifice for quality. That rating is also at the highest water flow they recommend. We have one running on a 200 gallon w/ slow flow and works just as well as the one I am running on my 75.

If you must have an 18watt I would stay away from odysea.

Corallife claims it works on both SW and FW tanks of up to 250 gallons. Those numbers should be different. FW can handle more flow through a UV which means it can handle a larger tank..technically. I know a number of people who have had their turbos spring leaks. I also know some that have never had a problem. I highly suggest buying a single body over one that you can take completely apart. All you need to access is the bulb so who really needs to be able to take it completely apart.