Where's the skimmate?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by sailorguy, Apr 20, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I recently installed a sump with new skimmer and reactor with biopellets.It has now been running for a week and the skimmer has not begun to produce any skimmate at all.I was wondering if it might be because the pellets are in the early stage and messing with the water chemistry a bit.Have any of you had a similar exsperience when starting to use biopellets? The water in my tank is very clear,there is no sign of a baterial bloom. TIA,Dave

2. Click Here!

3. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

Sailorguy,

It is pretty normal not to have skimmate being produced on a new skimmer. I have learned that each skimmer has a different break in time. Usually 2 to 3 weeks sometimes more. It takes awhile for the skimmer to flush out any production oil residue. Give it awhile and I am sure that it will work out.

I have had two skimmers not produce anything for about two weeks after start up, and that was with a vinegar bath, and I have had one that worked right out of the box. Don't stress yet.

My skimmer will also stop working when I stick my hand in the water. It will not produce for about 30 min. Its just a foam reaction to the oils on the hand.

Just my two cents.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, it took my skimmer a good week or so to break in. That is very interesting about the reaction to the hand in the water. Sailorguy, it will probably just take some time. You have been doing some serious work on your tank! :) I saw where you took your canister off and added a sump - you go dude!

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Yeah , with all that I was doing with the sump install I totally forgot to even rinse the skimmer and I have had my hand in the sump quite a bit.Thanks for the reply.

6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Thanks OFK,thought I'd give you a nickname/abreviation,I hate typing and texting.Yep,I decided to take the plunge.I wanted to add a pellet reactor and didn't want another HOB item.It was costly but the tank looks way cleaner now.I hope to recover a little of the cost by selling my reef octo bh1000 as soon as I get it cleaned up I'll post it for sale.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

well do post some updated pics! It sounds like you are liking the change!