where to get test kits??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ianaco70, Oct 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ianaco70

ianaco70 Bristle Worm

I need to get some test kits for magnesium and dkh but my lfs does'nt carry them so does anyone know a good website where I can order them. Also any suggestions on what chemicals to use if I need to raise mag or dkh and what parameters are ideal for coralline algae.

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I would say google api reef test kit and api saltwater test kit and the red sea mag test kit. Thats what I use but it is a preference thing. Not sure of a good place to order as I had my LFS order them for me and actually got them cheaper as I would have had to pay for shipping elsewhere.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would get the Salifert brand. That is top notch IMO. Tangster (a sponsor on this site) carries them at a discount for 3reef members. I have done business with him and have been suitably impressed.

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

How much different is the mag test from the red sea because I actually want an easier test kit for that. Or do they the same procedure?

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I have found that Marine Depot has good prices, at least much cheaper than most. They have great customer service and know how to treat ppl. As for test kits, I use API and Salifert for now, but have heard good things about Elos, Lamotte and Seachem. I have used RedSea a few yrs ago, but I not crazy about it. Luna

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

THAT was the brand I was trying to think of. Elos. That is the other top notch brand. Honestly, I am not too concerned with ease as I am with accuracy. The Mg and Ca tests are not all that user friendly, but you can do step three pretty quickly if you know where you are going to end up (about). I don't go drop by drop at the beginning. For example, on the Mg test, I squeeze probably 0.7ml into the vial at a uniform rate.....then go drop by drop. I know I am going to hit around 1440. It quickens things up.