Where to get live rock??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by DustinB32, Apr 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DustinB32

DustinB32 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I'm from the Pocono's in Pa and I cant find any live rock for a descent price. I've looked on craigslist for people breaking down their tanks but they are too far away and I dont feel like driving 2 hours. The closest lfs with the best selection usually doesnt have fiji lr which is $6 lb. They only have Bali & Manado lr which is $8-9 lb. Are there any good places online to order live rock from. My tank is a 20g long and I'm thinking I need between 20 and 30lbs. Would I be better off just buying base rock and seeding it with a small amount of live rock.

2. Click Here!

3. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

You can always buy 5lbs of live rock and about 50lbs of base rock and then eventually the base rock will turn into liverock. I have frags on my frag rack that were just cement plugs, now they are live rock pieces!

4. cdgardner11

cdgardner11 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1 to this. There is no reason to buy a ton of live rock at the prices they charge. I would just get a couple pounds and then get the rest at reef cleaners. I got 50 pounds of their rock and love it.

Get the other couple pound locally, but it wouldn't cost to much for only a couple pounds.

5. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Check out BRS for their rock. Much cheaper & looks awesome. Supplement it with a little LR & you'll be fine.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Agree with getting BRS rock and then seeding with 1 decent sized piece from your LFS.

7. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Seeding dry rock with a small amount of LR is the cheapest and easiest way to keep the negative hitchhikers to a minimum.

8. Click Here!

9. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

I strongly disagree with rock from BRS. You will end up paying more for shipping than you did for the rock.

Buy it from ReefCleaners. Free shipping, EPIC rock, and John always throws extra in.
    ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock

Also be patient and keep looking on Craigslist, I got 100lbs of LR for $100. I know how it feels to be impatient ::)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

We are talking dry rock from BRS.

11. pmoradi2002

pmoradi2002 Spaghetti Worm

Sorry meant to say rock!

12. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

haha. I got 200lbs for my 70 gallon from a friend for free. I gave the extra 100 lbs back to my fish store for store credit and my tank still looks packed! lol

Live rock is an expensive piece of the tank which most people would not think! It is not easy to go diving in Fiji, rib out 200lbs, don't disturb anything, then ship it to the other side of the world. Thats one of the reasons its soooooo expensive!!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011