Where to drill?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by jbaker, Nov 18, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

I'm looking at a 100 gallon undrilled acrylic tank I found for sale locally. What is the general consensus on drilling a tank? How big should the holes for the bulkheads be? Near the top or in the bottom? Any suggestions or ideas please!;D

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well a 1 in. bulkhead requires a 1.3/4 hole and that will also work for a 3/4 inch bulkhead the drains have to be 1 inch at least and 1.5 is not a bad idea they requires a 2.1/4 inch hole. I drill both corners for a drain and feed line and I installed a internal overflow box you have to use some type of overflow box so that the very top inch of the water is skimmed and pulled out for the skimmer and the sump..There are options on the overflows verticals or left to rights horizontals and on a acrylic tank its easy to install them and to drill the holes just a wood hole saw and a spray bottle of water to keep it cool for a cleaner hole. I drill my holes about 3 inches apart and I go in from the edges 2 inches from the back and end panels. Also if you need overflows to be built for the tankP/M me we can make them for you any color you'd like ? I'd also paint the rear panel

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is a visual of how I did mine.
    I recall taping prior to drilling to keep the flakes down.
    I used a wood hole saw too - but it was one with a lot of fine teeth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps...

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

hi, Jbaker,
    I would sugest to buy your bulkhead fittings befor to drill the tank just so you dont have any problems with the aalibility of certinsized fitting that you may have pre-drilled for

6. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Makes sense to buy the fittings first. So drain through the bottom of the tank using an internal overflow set to skim just the top of the water. What about the return? How far above the water surface/internal overflow should it be placed ? I know I've only got one chance to do this right. Send me some pics of your set ups if you can. It helps me tremendously to be able to actually see it. Thanks

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

as far as cutting into acrylic:
    start with a small starter drill bit and work your way up slowly to the drill bit size for the circular fine toothed bit. and take your time, if not youll crack the acrylic.

8. Click Here!

9. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

I thnk I will probably just have the lfs do the drilling. I'm so excited, I'm picking the tank up on Monday or Tuesday from the seller along with the PC light strip and stand. It's actually closer to 110 gallon than 100.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Man I have never seen so much info given to drill a plastic tank.. I thought posting a spray bottle to keep the bit cool was over kill seldom do I ever do that. If you can operate a power drill and can drill a hole in wood then you can drill a acrylic tank.. As for cracking it never heard of that I build and drill more acrylic in a month then most have in a life time.We do a ton of acrylic repairs and builds .. The water spray just makes the edges of the cut less rough I just scarp the burrs with a knife and then a light sand put the bulkheads in a done.. A 1 inch Bulkhead requires A 1.3/4 HOLE . And that will also accommodate a 3/4 bulkhead If you want to use a 1.1/2 they require a 2.1/2 inch hole.all bulkheads used for aquariums are pretty standard even te Speers and Haywood brand's that we use and they are extra heavy duty . And I could have had the holes drilled and filled faster then I read this string. Its very simple to do even drilling glass is not big deal..I did not know how to drill them either at one time.. Experience is the only way to learn.

1 person likes this.
  11. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

where to drill depends on what kind of system you are planning to run? is it for an In-Line system, or a Sump / Fuge. How large is the sump area, and how far away will it be? and what kind of pump are you planning on using?

12. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Hey guys I appreciate all the info, this site is an incredible resource. The sump is going to be my 55 gallon tank directly under the main 110 gallon. I'll use sand and some type of macro as well as skimmer and live rock. The head will be about 4 1/2 feet. Pump recomendations? I'd like to run the water through the sump slowly and I will probably use a Koralia or two in the tank itself for movement. Would drilling the back or the bottom of the tank give me more options?