where to buy ? fiji live rock ?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by pink4miss, May 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

Hi,

im looking to purchase premium fuji live rock. wondering if anyone has bought it on line and what places have good prices with good rock.

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I've bought from bulkreefsupply.com and really liked their rock. They have different types too so you can get exactly what you want.

4. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks i will check it out

5. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Bulkreefsupply only sells dry rock. If your looking for live Fiji, good luck becuase I don't believe Fiji is still being harvested. Most places that carry Fiji are and will be out of stock alothugh you may be able to fina somone with some left over. More than likely you will have to find a diffrent type of Live rock. Or maybe buy a xouple pieces of Live rock to seed your tank, then order nice base rock from reefcleaners or macrorocks. or dry fiji from bulkreefsupply.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

have decided i dont want dry rock. i want the live figi....yes i have been thinking of just trying to get it from live Aquaria. since they are a very reputable place. but pricey :( i did notice thy are out :(

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's not being harvested because of legal issues, so you may never be able to get your hands on it.

8. Click Here!

9. mcallahan

mcallahan Astrea Snail

Your best bet is to find some locally from a tank that is getting broken down. This approach takes time, but as blackraven said, its not being harvested anymore (legally)

And why are you so stuck on Fiji? There are plenty of nice tanks that don't have any fiji in them and look great.

Finally, I have to put my plug in for dry rock. Its cheaper, you can aquascape your tank before you get it set up (amazing how much easier it is) and your tank with be fine with starting with dead rock.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

called one of my local fish stores they are saying they have fiji. im betting its not but will go take a look. if i like the rock i will buy it. more i think about dry rock im not nuts about it. i was considering it and thought it looked nice ...but the live rock is calling my name.
    the local fish store told me the rock was 3.49 a lb. i wonder if that was a mistake. but if thats so its the same price as if i had dry rock shipped to me.
    i hope to get the rock early and cure it a while myself. before my tank gets here. since 30lbs i know its not going to fit in the 6 gallon. lol

i have extra heaters pumps and lights i can use to cure the rock. in a 30 gallon tupperware tub so the rock is ready to go when i set it up in the new tank

11. mcallahan

mcallahan Astrea Snail

IF you can really get Live rock for $3.49/lb, that's a great price. Here in TX it starts @ $8/lb.

If you aren't setting your tank for a while, dead rock makes for an even better choice as you can let it cycle while you are setting up your tank.

Dead rock = no hitch hikers = less headaches. If you go the live rock route, make sure you check it over carefully for aptasia, etc. And remember, no matter how careful you are, there is plenty of critters you can't see.

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

yes i know since i paid 6.49 a lb for the 10 lbs in the 6 gallon tank. thats why i think the 3.49 phone quote might be wrong. might run up tonight to check it out. its right around the corner.