Where should i place my new frogspawn???

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Zegermans13, Sep 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zegermans13

Zegermans13 Fire Worm

So ive got a new frogspawn frag on the way, should be here sometime this afternoon.. ;D Thoughts on where it should be placed in the tank? , ive read up on it and got mixed signals, some people say it should be placed on the substrate, others saying put it in holes in LR.. any help Appreciated :D

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

depending on light IMO
    But its my preference if my lighting is adequate to have these and other LPS corals on the sand bed or on very flat rock close to the sand bed

they require moderate flow, so again in most of my set ups flow is normally calmer down near the sand bed

Steve

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

i agree with steve.

It all depends on your setup.

I would say that due to shipping stress, it is best to acclimate the new frag by placing it low or on the substrate to start. You can move it up every few days to a week until you are happy and the frag is happy too!!!

Frogspawns are pretty hardy - with enough acclimation time, it will likely be happy just about anywhere in a well-established, well-maintained reef.

Best of luck on your new piece!!!

Post some pics when she's opened up!!!

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

My euphyllia thrives mid-way in my tank (250W MH, 24" deep) with moderate flow.

6. Zegermans13

Zegermans13 Fire Worm

Thanks! ill definetly put up pictures when it opens up

7. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

and away from other corals mine stung many things

8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

+1 - they can def sting corals nearby, some fatally!!!

They also seem to do very well with regular (once every few weeks) target feeding of meaty marine reef food such as myssis, squid, etc.

I always see extra polyp extension after a target feeding.

Turkey basters work fine for this. No need in most cases to go out and buy the expensive target feeders made for aquariums.

10. Zegermans13

Zegermans13 Fire Worm

Once every few weeks thats it ? , and +1 on the turkey baster ive been using that to feed other corals i already have.. it works perfecty haha anddd how far away would you say i should keep it from other corals

11. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

some may tell you to target feed more often.

It depends on your system. If you have lots of light, it might need less supplementation.

As I understand it, because LPS corals' polyps are so large (compared to say, SPS) that it likes to be fed to supports itself as it is sometimes difficult to make enough food with just the photosynthetic zooxanthellae that live in it's flesh.

I would keep it at least two times the diameter of the frag away from other frags - maybe 3 times the distance to be sure.

I am sure someone here knows eupyllia's better than myself and can advise on placement better.

12. Zegermans13

Zegermans13 Fire Worm

Well So far youve been alot of help, i appreciate it haha

1 person likes this.