Where is a good location for overflow kit?

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by GAZBO, Mar 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Hey guys I need some help figuring out where to my overflow box on my 150g 72" long tank. I just got my 3000 over flow kit from glass-hole.com and 2- 3/4" return kits. The overflow box is barely over 18" long and I have a center glass brace thats 16" wide so going dead center would give almost no access to the box. what kind of maintance is needed in the overflow box how much room do you need or should I just put all the way in one corner. I should of gone with 2 smaller kits on either side but to late now dont have time to order 2 new boxes. Stupid brace:angry:

2. Click Here!

3. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

center it on the back and have your returns in each rear corner
    as to maintenence I have to clean alge out once in a blue moon
    Use a dorso standpipe and you will need to be able to get to the airhole to keep it clean but that would be at teh top if you went that way

4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

dang it...I would think 2, would have been the sweeter set up : ( ....stupid brace.

5. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

if I center it it would only give me an 1" on each side for access into the box is that going to be ok? seems I will be asking for trouble if I went that way but I dont know.

6. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

yea I asked glass-hole guys if two or one box would be better and they recomended the 3000 kit but I forgot all about the brace. I do have redeo my inside seals of the tank maybe I can look into removing the brace and adding a smaller one. but that could open another can of worms to.

7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

can you return it for the other setup?

8. Click Here!

9. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Where to put the return kits?

Ok I am getting ready to drill the tank I am going to go ahead and go center with and when I redo the seams I will cut up the center brace into three sections and put one back in the center and put the other two pieces after the end of the box not to block access. My main question is where to drill the return kits should I go in the far corner at the highest point? The directions say the water level would be 1/2" to 3/4" up on the teeth so I am trying to get my water hieght just past the trim.

10. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Put the rertrns as close to the top as you want. good luck. i would say eh... 1.5" down from the trim is the center of your hole, and perhaps 2.5" from the side of the glass. should be okay. just measure twice and drill once. there is no room for mistakes. just take your time.

11. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

OK thanks here goes nothing:)

12. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

You have a hose near by correct?

Piece of styrofoam, pillow, something fluffy to catch your hole cuts from falling onto the front glass?

Drill with a clutch set to one of the losest settings, so that if it grabs it wont rotate.?

make sure to take your time and let the weight of the drill do all the work, just keep the drill straight and true. And most of all post some pics!