Where do you get your live rock?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by dellyjoe, Sep 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dellyjoe

dellyjoe Teardrop Maxima Clam

I just want to know where everyone gets there live rock.

Looking to pick up life rock later. This week

2. Click Here!

3. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

You can get most live rock from friends that have a mature system running or a LFS or many places online..

4. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I buy mine from my LFS. You can also do dry rock if you wanted ;)

5. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

IMO I'd go Mostly dry rock then seed it with some LR 80/20 maybe. A lot cheaper! :fish:

6. Camkha1234

I agree ;)

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

In most cases when you buy "live rock" online, all they do is wrap the rock in a wet news paper. Although it was "live" when they wrapped it, when it arrives to you, it goes through a cycle from all the bacteria dying off during shipping. Local LFS buying will avoid this, so long as you bring a tub of salt water with you, or just buy it at the store. If you avoid air exposure, you will have virtually no cycle, and can start up a lot faster.
    Careful though, you can burn a big hole in your wallet this way. A decent price for live rock is $5.oo a LB. If you need 100 pounds, well, you see. Nooze and Camk said it right though, as most base rock costs you a mere $1.oo - $2.oo, depending on the appearance and local supply.
    If you have the time to wait, you can always DIY your own base rock as I'm working on right now. It takes some cure time, but the customization you are able to do is soooo worth it. Use the forum google bar at the top and look up DIY Live rock, or just PM me and I'll shoot ya a couple of links. You tube is also a good spot light on the subject.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

That's also a very good idea ;) I might do that for my next build.

10. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

I recommend grabbing a small amount of LR from someone you trust, to avoid getting some nasty hitchhikers. You can use this LR to seed some dry rock. This is the cheapest, safest method.