where do nitrates come from

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by aquagirl, Nov 5, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jtomasi1

jtomasi1 Astrea Snail

I use Poland Spring and have testing multiple times using the Salifert test kit. The tests have all come back with 0 Nitrates. Just a thought....

2. Click Here!

3. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Jawfish7777,
    Nitrates (NO3-) are ions that dissolve readily in water yet also easily bind to organic compounds. The specific concern for our aquatic friends is that nitrates bind to the proteins of delicate organs such as gills. In my opinion, in low concentrations the effect is similar to a rash or other tissue irritation. In higher concentrations, nitrates are toxic by damaging gills and other surface tissues and by interfering with the immune system.

4. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

I'm just starting my tank, I purchased 20 gal of water " water Island" from Walmart and added Instant ocean reef crystals. Before I added my sand I had my water tested: very slight Nitrate reading.

Today for my sump I purchased 10 gal of "Culligan" water from Meijer. I'll get that tested before also.

I currently do not have my lighting installed. Do you think I can expect a clean bill of health with lights? Should I try to correct this some other way before I add any animals?

Thanks
    Julie

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  5. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

What test kits are you using and what were the levels that you tested?
    I don't understand the clean bill of health once the lights are on part... Do you mean you anticipate lowering the NO3 before the lights or the lights will lower the NO3? W/C's with NO3 free water and salt is the most effective way at lowerng NO3-sorry to be redundant.

Happy reefing!

6. Onjinsan

Onjinsan Fire Worm

My first batch (water from Walmart + "reef" salt)I had tested at the LFS, just barely pink (5 mg/L or less) Since then I purchased one of their kits (nutrafin) and tested my second batch (Culligan water + "reef" salt)also tested barely readable. The shade of pink for both was only about half the color depth of the lowest reading (5 mg/L).

I ran across a post here that eluded to light actually helping to lower NO3. Tho since then I have not come across this information in my books.

Is it reasonable to conclude that my water is the source of the nitrates?

7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

what is the reading of the water from your tank? if it is higher than what your reading of your made up water is than no it wouldn't be the source of it.
    it will contribute but that small amount really isn't going to hurt anything right now.

also being a new tank have you tested for nitrites yet?

8. Click Here!

9. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

You won't come across that information in books. It was a revelation somebody had because they added more lighting to their tank. More lighting, better macro(nuisance included) growth and, in turn false readings and/or slight reduction. So technically speaking, lighting can reduce nitrates....

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

I notice aquagirl hasn't logged in since 2006. Too bad since she lives in the same city as me. I'd give her a DIY Coil Denitrator to help with her nitrates from the spare parts when I made mine. I also noticed this original post is over 2 years old, woops. hehe

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Yeah the lighting was more of a residual effect than a cause. I would put money on if the tank was bare (meaning no macros, hair algae or anything that will absorb NO3), with high nitrates, the lighting will have no impact on the NO3 levels. If you have algae that will benefit from a 6500K bulb, the algae will grow and eat up more NO3 as Mission said.