Where did you get your Custom Aquarium

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Cole_lol, Jan 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cole_lol

Cole_lol Flamingo Tongue

Hey All,

Im thinking about getting a custome aquarium Im wanting something to put into a wall... I was thinking 48-60 inches wide maybe 24 inches tall 24 inches deep.

What do you think? Where did you get yours and what was your experience? How much did freight cost if ordered and where you happy with the whole process?

Wish I had someone local to build one or even in the states around me.

Just looking to see everyones expereinces...

Thanks,
    Cole

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Our tankmaker is John over at Advance Acrylics in Anaheim, CA.

He's done a fair bit of work for us, including building our latest 84" x 24" x 24" peninsula tank. His work is beautiful.

4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Those are pretty standard tank sizes, 120 gal (48x24x25) and 150 gal (60x24x25) are fairly widely available. I'm just curious if there is a certain feature you are looking for? Or is a standard tank an option?

5. Cole_lol

Cole_lol Flamingo Tongue

I just haven't seen any that are in the 60 inch range. They normally go to 74 inches wide and 18 inches deep 21 inches tall I think from what I found. Im looking for suggestions I guess of where to get a decent deal not so much on the tank but shipping. I'll have to do some more digging to see what my lfs can actually get if even that big.

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I guess I'd have to ask where you are located? And from there we may be able to find some shops close to you.

P.S. I got those tanks and sizes from glasscages.com, so there is one possible source for you, but I have seen them from other sources as well.

7. Cole_lol

Cole_lol Flamingo Tongue

I'm in the middle of Kansas and haven't found much around. But I'm still looking. Just looking for other peoples experiences.

As for glasscages I have not read very good reviews about there quality and workmanship. Most people saying there silicone needs help.

So just another reason for other opinions.

Thanks for your help!

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

10. Cole_lol

Cole_lol Flamingo Tongue

I looked at that site too. Just didn't notice the free shipping info. I'll have to double check. I just dont know about acrylic as far as duribility and such. But deff have not ruled it out. I think I have looked so much at fish tanks they are all looking the same haha

11. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Acrylic tanks are strong like an Ox they can just get scratched easily. Personally my view is that if it's over 3 feet it needs to be acrylic, i know people with HUGE glass tanks and are just as happy as can be but I like the safety of mind knowing that an accidental hit to the front or sides isn't going to spill hundreds of gallons of water all over my house.

As for Acrylic tanks, I used SeaClear, you use to be able to get custom tanks from them, and their quality is fairly good, but the company Casco that use to own them got picked up by someone else and it's hard figuring out what their going to do...