where did my fish go?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by nemo1991, Apr 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

ok so i came home today to descover that i cant find my copperbanded butterfly anywhere!, it has only taken small amounts of food, in very small quantities, and only every once in a while, i have had him for about a week, and today he was missing, so imideatly i cheaked the top of the tank, not there, checked the filter and powerheads, not there, cheacked the skimemr, not there, moved around my live rock, not there? i looked around to sseee if i had a jumper, and no where to be found, i have nothing in the tank that could have eaten him, the only thinkg is my green carpet, but the carpet is like 4 inches in diameter and the copper banded was like 2.5 inches, and the mouth of the anemone is smaller then a dime, so it couldnt have been that, i have never had this problem before!

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

check under and behind tank.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Wanna bet? Anemones can stretch their mouths quite a bit to fit large food items into their stomachs. I would never keep a carpet anemone in anything but a species only tank. I lost many a prize fish to one myself.

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

oh, i didnt see the second half of the post:dozey:

6. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

well the anemone is on the side of my tank, and i see nothing in my anemones like tube foot thing haha, plus the fish hung out on the very right side of the tank, and NEVER went over to the left, and the anemone is on the very left side.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm just telling you my experience and what to expect when keeping carpet anemones. You will continue to lose fish, shrimp, crabs, etc. to the anemone for as long as you have it in your tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's just the nature of the beast.

8. Click Here!

9. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

yee i would totally think that was it if it wernt for the sizes and such, i have fish half his size, he was a big fish, like it wouldnt be able to totally fit in the carpet,

10. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i would have to agree with carrig, you would be a supprised what those little guys can fit into their mouth. i mean they dont have any bones to restricte their mouth.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

OK, I'll repeat myself one last time. I had a carpet anemone that's mouth was less about a quarter of an inch long. It swallowed a 4" powder blue tang, a 5" yellow tang and a 3.5" flame angel. That's all I'm saying about it anymore. I'm just trying to save you some money :)

12. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

hm....thats crazy, well maybe i will put him with a set of clowns and put them into my 29 gallon cube