Where can I find copepods in the wild?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by coyle, Nov 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coyle

coyle Bristle Worm

I live near Tampa Bay in FL and there are grassflats nearby, are they in there? I think harpacticoids are around here and hopefully tisbe, but any would be fun to find in the wild. Are they under the rocks, in the sand etc? How will I be able to tell if they are there?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you gonna have to use a net and just scoop at water until you get enough.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

They will live in and around rock, sand, plants, basically anything that will give them protection. I do want to caution you on doing this though, as you don't know the exact species you'll be getting. I'm not sure if certain ones may be detrimental to a reef tank, but you should look into that before adding things from the wild. You'll also want to be careful about accidentally adding other creatures that could potentially reek havoc in your tank.

5. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

That's gonna have to be one fine net LOL.

6. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

They are everywhere!!! Just go pull out an old bunch of netting or dock line that's been in the water for a while, and it will be crawling with bugs of all kinds. You can hand pick the big juicy pods but be very careful not to get any parasitic species or they will attack your fish. I've done it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

+1. Better to just buy some and grow them out in a sump or fuge. I have made the mistake of collecting my own only to have some nasty parasites make it into the tank as well.

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

at this time of year if the wind is kicked up check the wrack line, the line of seagrass/algae that is left after the tide begins to recede. Put that stuff in a bucket, shake it, and then strain out the vegetation. (Use big whole pieces for less mess). Congrats, you have 1000s of pods now. :) Get it while it is wet still, just as the tide is receding.

or run a plankton net/micron sock through some seagrass. Plankton nets are expensive, or a pain to build, I would just do it the other way. So fast, so simple...

10. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

let us know how you made out coyle, pics if possible. Good luck