When to know rock is ready?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by kutsujutc, Feb 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kutsujutc

kutsujutc Spaghetti Worm

I took out about 4 pieces of live rock (maybe 15lbs) that had a few different pieces of majano on it. I left out in the sun for two full weeks. Well the pieces have now been in a rubbermaid tote with a heater and powerhead for two weeks. I'm wondering what a good way to tell if these pieces are ready to go back into the DT tank?

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

test the water, it should cycle just like your tank, when ammonia and trates are zero and trites are reading, you should be fine;)

Edit: oops missed that when trites are zero;)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Test your ammonia and nitrites in the tote. If they're still zero, then the rocks are clean. If you have a measurable amount of either or both, then the rocks are cycling from leftover dead organics.

1 person likes this.
  5. MarineDepot

MarineDepot 3reef Sponsor

In addition to what others have already said. Use your nose and give the rocks a good sniff! After re-hydrating the rock in water again, pull it out and smell each rock. You will be able to tell if it still has any leftover organics by any foul odors.

Dan