When should I get coral?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Urban_s, Jul 26, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Ok I just got my new pico set up(Which I just recived from jonathan).
    Its a 2.5gal with a ac20(with a ac70 impeller), Current 17watt(50/50)CP, 50Watt heater about 2lbs of LR. Aragonite base. I used some Cycle in the tank and now I am wondering when should I get some coral and what kind. I know that I have to wait at least until it is all cycled. But the main goal is to keep a clam some day(far far away). What corals, about when, what are some clam compatable critters for a pico?

2. Click Here!

3. blue_eyes53813

blue_eyes53813 Flamingo Tongue

Good corals would be small zoo and mushroom colonies. I dont think a clam would do good in that small of a tank..sorry,, good luck

4. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Small clams don't rely on light like clams 3"+ do. If you feed the clam every few days in a Phytoplankton dip, it might do well! But, as it gets larger it will rely on light as it source of food...

If you don't know what a Phytoplankton dip is, let me know.

Mike

5. MacnReef

MacnReef Fire Shrimp

Oh yeah to answer your other question. Zoos would be a great addition.

Mike

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Most soft corals, azooxanthellae gorgonians and corals can be kept though are more delicate than soft corals and some lps's. Star, button polyps and mushrooms are also very hardy as mentioned above. Fungia(plate) corals are very pretty and different as well in my opinion.
    As for the Tridacna's-I wouldn't attempt it. Especially with a nano/pico tank, they will most likely be short lived. The main reason for this is due to their inability to react and adjust to changes in anything really, from light to salinity to ph. They will stress pretty easily and to keep one in a large tank takes some close monitoring and ideal water parameters with the exception of nitrates. Clams will not survive without nitrates in your water. Granted you don't want to have high levels, but they require nitrates for food(filter feeders) as well as nano/phytoplankton and yeast as a baby-juvenile stages-then transitioning over to intense light once their zooxanthellae increases in its syphon mantle. The bacteria in their mantle(responsible for the vibrant colors, not the zooxanthellae as many might think) will prosper with plankton additions from time to time as well as nitrates adsorbed from your water column.
    Hope this helps!

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I think that some hardy corals like shrooms or polyps would be good. As for a clam...i mean...it might be "possible" to house a clam in a 2.5 gal tank, but i would strongly advise against it.

8. Click Here!

9. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

The clam was just a thought. I will just have to wait to get my my 75 up and fully running.