When should I add my LR?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Ropski, Dec 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ropski

Ropski Astrea Snail

I dont have my tank setup yet but i was just wondering when the best time to add LR is. During cycle, after, before??

I will be using RO/DI water

2. Click Here!

3. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

Tank first, then salt water, then live rock, finally add sand, then the cycle can start. Basically, you want to put in the rock, sand and water before the cycle begins. Adding live rock to a tank which has already cycled may kick in another cycle due to die-off.

4. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

right from the beginning. the liverock will provide a home for the beneficial bacteria.

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Just like everybody above said. The live rock should be in from the beginning, because as organisms die off, that makes your cycle.

6. devlzluv

devlzluv Ritteri Anemone

right when you get the water in, it will cause your tank to cycle which is what you want.

Way I did mine was add the base rock, then the sand, fill the tank up, then add the LR on top to seed everything then it will cause the cycle from die off. Good luck with it and take pics of the progress, were pic *****s on this website and want to see everything!

7. Ropski

Ropski Astrea Snail

so far i only have about 20lbs lace rock. and about 70lbs substrate. waiting for my next few paychecks to get my RO/DI unit, testing equiptment and my other 40lbs Lace rock and 30lbr LR. hopefully ill have finished build pics by the end of the month