When is the best time to test?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by JetEngineMech, Jul 18, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

I work second shift so I am gone from about 2:30 pm until almost 1:00 am. I understand readings should be taken just prior to lights out, but I am at work at that time. When would be the best time for me to take readings with the schedule that I'm on, or is consistency the most important factor?

2. Click Here!

3. paulg

paulg Feather Duster

Dont think its a matter of when just as long as you get good readings when you do. Your PH is the only factor that should change during the course of the day as opposed to night.

4. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

+1 on what paulg said, but for the ph probably between 10am to 5pm be the highest reading
    it all depends on where you live

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The only thing time of day effects is the Ph reading and testing for ph is next to worthless anyways , If the DKH or Alk is correct then the Ph has to fall in line . But if you are the type to do things at a certain time then try to test them all about the same time of day . After you get the levels dialed in then weekly will do for a month or two then biweekly after you get a solid baseline and steady readings at one test a week or some drastic changes happen or large new additions to the system.

1 person likes this.
  6. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know, thanks!

7. saltysticks

saltysticks Plankton

Tangster,

forgive my ignorance as i am very new to all of this but why is testing for Ph next to worthless, if its because the testing kits are inaccurate then why would testing Alk be any different? If its worthless for some other reason please elaborate. thanks