When is it safe to add macroalgae??

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ryland, Sep 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am in the process of starting a 125 gal reef. As of now I have my quarantine tank (bare bottum 29 gal) up with some live rock in it along with a few blue legged crabs. It hasnt been running a week yet. I want to start some macroalgae. I know the tank has to go through its cycle but I was wondering if it would be ok to add macro now before the cycle is finished? Looking to add a piece of dragons breath and cheato. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

I would think it would be fine to add some chaeto during the cycle. It would definitely keep the nitrates down. If it doesn't survive its not like it cost you a fortune. Only thing that may not survive would be the pods. But you can seed that later if you want.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

When you say pods I assume you mean the crabs. They came in the live rock. Busy lil critters.

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

He means copepods. Copepods are tiny crustaceans that serve as a source of food for some fish, and often are hitch hikers on algae and live rock. They also serve as a member of the clean up crew.

Also I think the macro algae will be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to post your parameters so we know how far along your cycle is.

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

PH 8.4 amonia and nitrates nearly undetectable at this time

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

How about nitrites? And how long has the tank been up?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Havent tested for nitrites yet. The tank has only been up for about 4 days.

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I also noticed today there are litterally hundreds of little brown worms coming out of my live rock. I think they are bristle worms. The longest I have seen is about 2 inches. Should I leave them or attack them?

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Then you need to be testing for ammonia, not nitrates. Nitrates is one of the last things you'll see.

12. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Have you seen a spike in amonia yet? Did you use LR for your cycle or use base rock? You might get a big spike amonia if you haven't yet. I would honestly wait to add any macroalgae until you have finished your cycle IMHO. It would prob. be ok but not worth the risk to me.