when can i try to frag this duncan?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by trevor_cheese, May 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trevor_cheese

trevor_cheese Astrea Snail

[​IMG]

when can i try to frag this duncan? has a gripp of new heads since i've added it to my tank.

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

you can frag it now.......the way the growth is it should be very easy to do. The only suggestion i would give you.....make sure water parems are excellent prior to it. I would use a dremel versus bone cutters as duncan skeletons are fragile and bone cutters might fracture up to polyp!

4. trevor_cheese

Heck yea looks like ima be investing in some diamond bits and a dremel lol. Cant wait to jopefully make some frag trades

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

definately a good purchase.........
    also look into a flex shaft attachment. This will allow you better control of the dremel bit and will allow you to get into smaller spaces

225-01 Flex Shaft Attachment / Model: 225-01

6. trevor_cheese

alright so i picked up my dremel, didn't get any diamond bits cause no one carries them here in wyoming lol. So i just bought the thinnest cutting wheel that said was used for metal and plastics and is used to cut off screw heads. figured it should work? Also curious how this will effect the main coral i'm fragging off of..... will it have a gaping' wound or how does this work? i have a coral dip to use after i make the divisions. I'll prob take two or three little side branches off.... going to glue them to a plug than put them back in the original tank. does this sound right??? just want to make sure that the cutting wheel i got will still work.... they say cut off wheel number. 409

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i dont know about the cutting wheel, i have only used the diamond. Can order them online.

As far as the main coral it will keep growing and will eventually fill in. I frag my duncans to allow other polyps to have more room to grow. I find that the growth rate increases with the frags. Sounds like your plan will work. I cant tell from the picture but the best way to go would be to frag the back piece in the picture (just take that branch off)

When you go to frag it, once you start just proceed. Make straight complete cuts. Make sure you do the skeleton and not the softer tissue where the polyps are growing. I think with this frag the blade you got should be fine but I would go online and purchase a diamond

8. Click Here!

9. trevor_cheese

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    angry mother plant.....one of my cuts has sort of a green slime stuff coming out of it....hopefully it is okay and i didn't hurt it....
    [​IMG]
    my three little frags.....ones got a thicker slime coat than the others by far and looks kinda gray on one side..... hopefully it makes it....

10. trevor_cheese

[​IMG]
    about 15-20 min after i made my cuts and they are already starting to poke out.... pretty stoked for my first fragging' lol

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid