WHen can I add new fish

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by jeeprider, Mar 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeeprider

jeeprider Astrea Snail

I just got through with a round of ich that killed my Blue Tang. Some treatments I used didn't help till I used Quick Cure. In the process, I lost my snails, but not my seastar;-) It's been 3 days since my last application and I've already done a 50% water change. How long should I wait before I can add another fish? Also, should I try to get another Blue Tang? They say that Blue Tangs tend to get ich alot and I'm hesitant to get another one. They are so pretty though and my youngest daughter really wants me to try again. One thing I've learned is to keep my temp at 83 degrees. The higher temps seem to keep the ich at bay. I think that might have been my other problem as to why I couldn't get rid of the ich quickly enough.

2. Click Here!

3. pecco22

pecco22 Peppermint Shrimp

well another thing you will want to consider is a good UV filter. it will help with the ick problems.

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

So let me back this up.... You used Malachite green in a tank of inverts?
    Sorry about your losses but I have a few questions..
    How big is the tank?
    How many fish WERE in the tank?
    How long were they all in there?
    How often do you do water changes?
    And lastly what are a few of your parameters? I don't need all just the big ones. SG, NH3, NO2, NO3.....

Oh, one other thing, If you still have some fish in the tank, the ick will not die it will most likely keep living, that is of course if you didn't nuke it all with the Quick Cure.
    IF the fish are all dead, the ick can go dormant if there is no host.... I would since you already nuked the tank once, consider another round of QC and then do a large couple of water changes.... Then consider more fish.

As far as the Hepatus tang is concerned.... They ARE suseptable to ick, HLLE and velvet. They also get large and can be aggresive. Lastly they have a different diet than most tangs.... they prefer more zooplankton in there diet to remain healthy.

Whatever you choose, good luck and sorry again for the losses!

5. jeeprider

jeeprider Astrea Snail

Yes, I did use Malachite in my tank. I didn't want to, but I didn't want to take any chances on lossing the others. Thank you for the kind words;-) To answer your questions:
    1) My tank in 55 gallons
    2) There were 6 fish all together. 1 Chromis ( 1 inch ), 3 clowns ( 1 inch ), 1 Blue Tang (3 inches), 1 Raccoon butterfly ( 3 inches), then one seastar and 5 turbo snails.
    3) The Chromis was first in the tank middle of December. The clowns were next Beginning of January. The Tang was next beginning of February. The Raccoon, beginning of March. The seastar and the snails came in the middle of March. Around the time I started seeing the Blue Tang act funny. 3/19/09 That's the time I posted questions about ich and why my tang as acting that way. I did water changes once every two weeks, at the end February begining of March. I brought my water in several times to get tested and each time it was good, before I put in the Raccoon. Don't know the exact parameters. I NEED to buy my own kit. I'll have to get back with you on all the parameters. I do know that my nitrite level is .50, right after I did a 50% water change. I get the R/O and R/O SW from the pet store.

My last QC treatment was 3/28/09. So you think I should do another round? If so i'll start today. All my other fish look great now. And the Seastar is still alive. I did read about the life cycle for the Ich.

One other note. Around the time that my Blue Tang was getting Ich, that when I put the temp around 78 degrees. I did that based on the living temp that the documentation said they live at. 75 to 81 degrees I believe. Prior to that, I had the temp at 83 degrees. If that means anything.

6. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I heard if ya drop your SG to 1.015 and keep the temp high it will aid in getting the parasite out of your tank. DO NOT drop it more tham a number like 1.025 to 1.024 in a 24 hour preiod......I dont know how the drop is for fish though you need to look into that first....

7. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

If your nitrite is 50 i don't think anything would be living in there, or even .50 this should read oppm before even adding live stock, do you mean nitrate?
    also malachite green is a copper treatment, which could bind itself to the silicone inside your tank and you may never really get rid of it, copper treatments are a no no when inverts are concerned, this is whay a quarantine tank is recommended, a powder blue tang will outgrow a 55 unless you get it small and intend on upgradeing the tank or giveing it away, even the smallest tang like the yellow can reach 6" or more.
    And 83f is borderline, a good temp is 78f, and the higher the salinity the lower the oxygen.
    Hope this helps...