When attacking cyano bacteria....

Discussion in 'Algae' started by GAZBO, May 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I have some cyano bacteria that I am just starting to battle with, do I want to stop using Reef Solutions mineral and vitamins that I add every other day. I assuming that this will help feed the cyano.

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

How are you "battling" it? I never stop adding my suppliments, I use Chemi-clean. Feeding does need to be reduced and if you use Chemi-Clean they recommend adding an oxygen source. It works fine and can be used as a bi-weekly preventative until things are stablized.

4. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

When battling Cyano, the best thing to do is reduce feeding, add more flow, and wait. It will eventually go away, but it takes patience. Some people recommend to cut your lighting schedule down, but I cant see why that works seeing as it is a bacteria and not an algae (and I never noticed it to help either). HTH : )

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It actually has aspects of bacteria and algae. It is photosynthetic, so reducing the photoperiod can help. I reduced mine when fighting it and it seemed to help. Luckily, I feel that this is one of the easiest nuisance algaes to fight and win. It just takes time.

6. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I reduced my lighting to 8hrs and feeding as little as possible to maintain healthy corals and fish unfortanatly my diamond goby is stick and bones so I need make sure I target feed him during food ration period. I started a refugium about 4 wks ago so hopefully that that will eliminate any phosphates and will start doing weekly water changes when I find a good non expensive RO unit. Right now I get my RO water from my wife's work and its enough for top off and monthly water changes but dont want to get her in trouble getting to much.
    The main thing I was worried about if my vit./min. supplement would slow down the process of eliminating the little cyano I have.