When are nitrates too high?

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Kevin_E, May 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

When are nitrates too high in a fw planted tank?

2. Click Here!

3. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

When I was doing FW I never let my Nirates go above 10ppm. FW fish etc can handle nitrates up to 20ppm but no higher than that at the highest!! Even then, too high for my liking. :p

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. Mine were at 80 ppm and I had very little algae growth and a new crop of convict cichlid babies every couple of months. Im converting from a cichlid room a planted community now, so I'll need to get them down.

6. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

oh jeeze! lol That's HIGH! But convicts could live in acid for frig sakes!!! LMAO.... and still breed!!! Algae doesn't just need nitrates to grow, it also needs good light and Phosphates!! Any small comunity fish placed in nitrates 80ppm would surly die the next day. Especially the more commonly used community fish like neons or cardinal tetras. :p Good luck bringing those nitrates down! :) Maybe even consider making a FW sump/refuge ;) Grow the more fast growing eventually niucence plants in there like the java Moss etc... that will help keep the nitrates at bay :)

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I know my well water contains phosphates, so they are definitely present in the tank too. I'm going to bring the nitrates down with water changes.

Last edited: May 23, 2012