When adding mag,calcium,Iodine,strontium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by GAZBO, May 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

I was just wondering when adding supplements do you want to do this slow over time or can you add alot at one time if you test really low on something. I usually add mine with my top off but just wanted to see just it case something gets really low for example if your mag is below 800 can you do a heavy dose at once to bring it up or do you still want to do it slowly over time.

2. Click Here!

3. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

Depending on how muh you are needing to raise a specifoc level. If you mag is only 800 and you want to be around 1450 then you need to raise it over a 3 or 4 day period. I would raise it about 100 ppm each day until you hit your desired level. As far as iodine and strontium...a general rule of thumb is not to dose anything you cant test for so if your dosing iodine etc. Make sure you test for these so you don't end up wit excess nutrients.

4. GAZBO

GAZBO Fire Shrimp

Yeah I do test everything before I add anything to my tank I was just wondering if you get busy or behind on your maintaince then find really low readings if it would hurt anything to bring it up fast.

5. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

100 to 200 per day is a max that I would come up.

6. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Be careful if you use iodine. Elevated levels of this can be a real killer in a tank, and it doesn't take much at all. Iodine in the tank is in trace amounts, and even a little excess can create a ton of havoc.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I would go no more than 50ppm of Ca a day, 100ppm of Mg a day and maybe 1dkH of alk a day. I don't add Iodine/dide, nor do I add strontium or other trace elements. I DID get a half gallon of Vit C from my Central Aquatics Rep(Kent) that I dose just because I have it....
    Many things are added that aren't tested nor are they added in the appropriate amounts. With reefkeeping, if some is good more is better, does NOT work!!

Happy reefing!