When 2 add cleanup crew?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by bmshehan, Jan 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Can I add a cleanup crew as soon as my tank is cycled? I'm worried about crud buildup, want to keep my tank AS CLEAN AS POSSIBLE! Any advice/shared experience would be helpful!

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would start off gradually to ensure that your inverts are able to feed without starving due to your tank being new...It will take some time for your tank to mature and begin growing algae etc. for the inverts to eat and stay alive!!

1 person likes this.
  4. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i added my clean up crew 1 week after my tank cycled. my crew was only a few scarlet hermits, snails freak me out, i dont know why. i wouldnt add any shrimp thou for a while,some web packages include shrimp in thier clean up crew, which seems dumb because they dont seem to do well in maturing water. hermits can be canabalistic sometimes, so make sure you got some brown algae growing first, and shells for them to grow into. snails i dont have so someone else can chime in on that.stars seem to be more trouble than thier worth. every one should have a job, so research the critters that will work the hardest for you.
    i know snails are proly the best, so i will be getting a few soon just gotta get past the way they look.
    im 6 month newb, thier are alot of educated people on this site, that cna give you details beyond this. my tank had a 4-6wk cycle befor my ammonia, nitrite were at steady zero, brown algae will be the first hint your at the finish.

1 person likes this.
  5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

If tank finished cycling...you should start seeing waves of algae popping up. Perfect timing to start adding hermits and snails, a few at a time.

Don't dump in a whole commercial "clean up crew" package. You will have a very clean tank, but most of your critters will wind up starving. ;)

1 person likes this.
  6. bmshehan

thanks for the advice. as with everything in my tank, I plan on taking my time. just want to have a good plan of action... gives me something to do while I cycle! any other advice/experience?

7. bmshehan

what about Nassarius Snails? My sandbed is pushing 3", so I feel the need to get something in there pushing some sand around. thinking about buying 25 when my tank cycles, then a couple of weeks later getting some shrimp or something else??

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Plan ahead, know what you want to have and how to take care of it. Know if your tank is big enough for the creatures you want. research

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sand shifting stars work well too. 25 is alot imo.

11. bmshehan

as far as the snails go i have heard 1 to 1 gal. if no other crew exists, but if one does then 1 to 2 gal. they are small suckers, but i will have to research it some more. according to what i saw, i figured 25 would be less then any recommended amount. ???

12. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Nassarius snails are great. Get some of the small ones and jumbo super tongan nassarius snails. You will need to feed them however as they are not algae eaters. They are long lived and great scavengers if you don't want to keep hermits. They pop out of the sand when they smell food.