Whats your secret ???

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by secretaznbo1, Nov 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. secretaznbo1

secretaznbo1 Astrea Snail

I was looking into getting some SPS but as far as maitaining water chemistry, its still a mystery to me. So with this thread I want to know what chemicals, powders, and any other secret you used to maintain your water chemistry. please include the tanks specs, type of corals supported, chemicals, and anything else that would help others maintaining their water quality

- thanks in advance

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I buy my Ca supplement (calcium chloride), my Alk. supplement (soda ash) and Mg supplement (magnesium chloride) from bulkreefsupply.com. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes with Coral Life salt. I also dose Kent Essential elements and Kent coral vite every 2 weeks to add trace elements that get depleted. I dose the Ca, ALk and Mg nearly everyday and test every few weeks. I keep sps, clams and lps.

1 person likes this.
  4. secretaznbo1

secretaznbo1 Astrea Snail

thanks guitarman89, the site offered detail information about their products and i might ditto this method. WHat package did you buy and how long do the last you?

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  6. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I started with the two part kits, but they went pretty quick so now I just buy in bulk. I actually just placed an order. I got 7lbs (1 gal.) of calcium chloride, 7lbs (1 gal.) of soda ash and 6lbs (1 gal.) of magnesium chloride. I also picked up a pound of GFO and some test kits. I just about used up my previous supply (1 gal. Ca and 1 gal. Alk.) and that lasted me about 5-6 months. 2 cups makes one gallon, and I still have about two cups left of each, so I would say at least 6 months.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I prefer a calcium reactor for its simplicity, set it and forget it. I also use GFO and carbon in reactors, thats it.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The key to good chemistry is not in the dosing. It's in the testing. If you cannot test for it there is no way to be sure if you are adding enough or too much. I recommend going after each param separately. Start by getting a base line test for that param. Slowly dose to get it where you want it. Now wait 24 hours and test again. This will show you how much you loose per day. Now it will be trial and error to figure out exactly how much you need to dose per day. After you get that figured out I would still test once a week to be sure your dosing is properly maintaining your param.

It's not as hard as it may seem. Just take it slow and do one param at a time.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

IMO, that is simply the first step in auto dosing (or using a reactor).

my params have not budged in 2 months+

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I add kalk to my top off water and simply pour in 1/3 gallon in the morning and night. I also use a 2 part cal/alk at night. I have a 46 gallon.

12. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

I beleive the key to start is a combination of testing and dosing.

syou wanna start dosing all 3 of your main elements.... ca, alk, mg.

alot of newbies to dosing only dose ca and alk to start until they realize how important mg is. you will be dosing more mg with a stoney tank.

ESV or BRS offer reputable dosing elements. BRS not as costly.

Pick yourself up some good test kits. salifert for all 3 elements (ca, mg, alk).

get some good dosing elements.... test your water and dose accordingly.

I would start off dosing manually.... it will keep you on the tank and learn with a hands on approach. once you get the hang of it move to an auto doser. there is still some gray area from jumping to a ca reactor from 2 part dosing.

You simply need to read read read. And start slow.

1 person likes this.