What's your Preference?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by 55gfowlr, Nov 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Test kits

After testing my parameters, I decided to confirm them with my LFS. What I found out was entirely unexpected.

I own the API master test kit, where it told me that my Nitrate was 40ppm, and my LFS showed only 10, so not too bad there. Better to read more than less. The Ammo and Nite were both at zero, so good news there. But, my Red Sea Phosphate kit, which put me at a solid zero, was confirmed to be a nice 1.0. Instead of trying to sell me a remover, he recommended I do some large water changes for a few weeks, which is why I take my business there.

Now, my Alk test showed me that my next move is to go out and buy a kit.
    ready......(drum rolllllll) 5.49meq.......which is the other reason I'll be doing some large water changes for a few weeks. This is possibly from a bad sandbed stir I had from a new power head, but also from not doing my changes as frequently as I should. Does anybody recommend a good alkalinity kit?

And while on the subject, what's everybody's favorite test kits. I was told that API was junk, but to be honest all I can see it lacks is an expiration date, which can be pretty crucial. 6 months and I'm still making mistakes, but I'm learning to not be too proud and just post them. I've got a lot of good advice from 3Reef.