What's your career/job?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by =Jwin=, Oct 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Tell me, how does one go about getting training to become a medical transcriptionist? I ask because I hate my job and I'd love to be able to work from home!!

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Heck you sit at work on 3reef all day......... :p Can't be too hard. ;D

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

As much as I love 3Reef, and as strange as it may seem, surfing the net for 8 hours a day because you're not busy at work sucks. Seriously. I expect to get busier soon but that doesn't negate the fact that I hate my job :lol:

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Director of sales and consulting for a heatlhcare IT company. We do Electronic Medical Records (Core systems as well as ancillaries - Pharm, Rad, Surg, Lab, etc.). We cover all areas of healthcare...from large Acute Care facilities, to individual practices. I personally focus on Pediatrics and oncology. I live in Atlanta and travel all over the country...on the road everyweek for at least a couple of days. My wife does a great job of keeping my reef going when I am gone...she is a saint.

6. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I'll get back with you in a bit - right after I finish typing up this very long-winded surgeon taking out some guy's colon....;)

7. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

I work in a wonderful nurseing home, as a nurse. I drive the medical supply tech nuts trying to get supplies at cost or free if out dated; for my tanks. My husband owns a small trucking company and also drives himself, so I have to take care of the book work, and any problems that may arise (deliveries, pick up, breakdowns). We also have some rental properties wich are even more of a head ache than the trucks. I'm a mom to a 23 year old a 18 year old and a ten year old. My grandson is two. They live at HOME, at least for now, so I count that as a full time job. If it wasnt for my tanks I think I would go INSANE.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: nice :lol:

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

Ok, I'm back. First of all, let me say that I have two separate computers - my hospital computer is locked up like Fort Knox and doesn't let me play on 3reef. Also, I'm paid on production and as long as I meet my work quota, I can goof off all I want. Also, I never surf the internet when I'm typing a STAT, meaning a whole operating room full of people can be standing there waiting on me to press the send button. In case the medical people out there are wondering what the heck I'm doing on 3reef while typing operative reports.....

There are several options for training out there now - tons of on-line courses and community college courses. If I had to start over again, I would probably go the community college route because that also gives you coding (our coders also work from home). The course I took pretty much gave me the medical terminology and practice tapes. If you want to PM me, I can send you more detailed info and some links.

The best part about medical transcription is after years of listening to HORRIBLE dictators in multiple dialects butchering the English language, I can understand and translate gas station clerks, restaurant servers, etc. ;)

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

at the oncologist office I used to work at, I typed his dictations on evenings and weekends! I got really good at typing and since I worked for him I was unable to understand his foreign tongue! It got to the point that I would unplug the headphones and turn on the TV while I was working. When I started noticing problems with this was when I would type part of the TV shows into the note (Thankfully always caught it) ;D

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Thanks for the info TM. I'm definitely going to see if any of the community colleges here offer training! I would love to see whatever links you can provide so please do send them to me when you have a minute!