what's wrong?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by artur, Sep 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

A year ago I bought Prestige-Led called SPS-55 LED unit. 55-3w LED with controller. I know it's not a best quality. Kind of like Evergrow I think cc120? Looks the same. I have a problem. First Blues now Whites also flickering, blinking all the time, on,off,on,off. Fixture is useless now. No warranty of course. My question is what could be a reason? Im not electrician but I do construction. Im pretty handy. What should I replace and where to buy it? Ballast? Do LED's have ballast? Something else? Im sure there is just couple things may cause it.Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I kind f have this issue with some of our own LEDs. In the original LED units we had/have in our shop, its the plastic connectors that are at fault. they heat up and melt even though the units are cooled. Just the quality of the plastic and insulation is sub-par. You should be able to get replacement parts at your local RadioShack or similar store.

4. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Ok. I will take it apart and take a look. Should I look at connections then?

5. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Today I took cover off. That's how it looks. 3 Power Supplies 2 LED drivers. What could be bad. I run them on site and they still flickering, specially whites. I newer use that fixture with 100% over tank. Now I put it on 100%, run for a few minutes. Not sure but flickering stopped at 100% for those few minutes. When I run them on 30,40,50% or others flickers all the time. Any ideas. Should I look for new drivers or it is something else?

Attached Files:

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

The only thing I can think of right now is that drivers do have a minimum voltage. You may be running too few LEDs to dim them that low.

7. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

But they were working for few months with no problem..