What's wrong with my torch coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by aerialedge, Apr 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aerialedge

aerialedge Plankton

I need help, I don't know what's wrong with my torch coral. It's not opening up and its tentacles are retracted and swollen like a bubble. It's been like this for two days. This happened after I left for the weekend to come back and realize my heater wasn't working and the temperature dropped to 65 degrees. I quickly put in a new heater and now the temperature's back to normal, but my torch coral isn't.

However, last Thursday I had also did a 60% water change using steam distilled water + instant ocean salt mix.

Right now the pH and alkalinity are within reference range. The nitrogen and phosphates should be in reference range too because I use SeaChem Purigen and Phosphate Remover.

I'm really worried because I spent $45 dollars on this little guy. I have pictures below.

Here's the equipment and livestock I have in my JBJ Picotope:

-Stock Lighting 9W 50/50 Actinic Lighting (Will be upgrading to 18W Current Satellite 12" Lighting soon)
    -AquaEuroUSA Nano Skimmer II
    -Stock Powerfilter
    -TheoHydro 50W Heater
    - 1x Crocea Clam
    - 1x Pulsating Xenia
    - 2x Cup coral
    - 1x Torch Coral
    - 1x Cleaner Shrimp
    - 1x Small Clownfish
    - Live Rock

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Give it time to acclimate and get happy. It doesn't look like anything is dying off.

Welcome to 3reef.

4. aerialedge

aerialedge Plankton

Thanks 2in10. Well, the torch coral still looks the same today. Like you said, nothing looks like its dying off, so hopefully in a couple more days it'll open back up.

5. aerialedge

aerialedge Plankton

Bummers, it died. It leaked and brown liquid oozed out.

6. newtosalt

newtosalt Spaghetti Worm