Urgent Whats wrong with my tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ferretfish, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ok! how old is the tank?

do you understand that using basically tap water is prob your main culprit here?

and what fish is eating your CUC?

These are easy problems to fix!

some purigen seems like the quickest and cheapest! But a RODI unit needs to happan ASAP!

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

some anails can't turn themselves over! thinking Astrea and my turbos have issues! Get a good mixed CUC from reefcleaners!

4. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

about 7months old
    my best guess would be my tomato clown or tang
    so should i use tank water to defrost the food

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

dude you said you're using your fridge water for the tank water? or just the thawing?

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

what water do you use for mixing your saltwater/topping off?

7. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i use tapp water for top off, water change, and dethawing frozen food

8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

dude! that's prob at least 99% of your problem! get a good RODI unit ASAP! spectrapure has a good deal now on some refurbs! get some purigen and seachem chemiclean in the mean time! Go to walmart and buy some 18 gallon totes! on sale for like $5 right now and get some RODI water from a LFS and do some big water changes! should take care of the problem! A better idea might be to get a bio pellet reactor! Should have about $70 in that!

Get a RODI ASAP!

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

tap water has all sorts of crap in it that will cause this! i thought i was safe with just a RO unit! wrong! The money for a RODI will save ya alot of hassle, time, and money!

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I haven’t read this entire thread, so chances are you have already learned your answer. But for what its worth….

Didn’t I just post to you in another thread about adding rock to your tank? Dude, if you are having issues don’t add anything unless its to help resolve the issue.

Cyanobacteria is generally caused by excess nutrients and poor water flow – but these are not the only cause to look for. Aging light can contribute, but I think your system is just 6 months old – so should not be your problem, but might in the next 3-6 months. PO4, DOC and NO3 is where you should focus. You should own a phosphate test kit, so make that a priority. In your first post your parameters were very limited – you should know at a minimum CA, ALK, PH, MAG, PO4, Salinity and Temperature. Read directly from Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

When someone says Cyano my mind goes straight to – RO/DI, Skimmers, feeding routine and CO2 impacted by flow and/or poor gas exchange….in my experience this is generally where you can resolve your issue.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

he's using tap water!