Urgent Whats wrong with my tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ferretfish, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I agree with most above. I think a refugium isn't the solution here. The amount of fish in a 55G you are going to have Nitrates and phosphates. You my never get a reading of them using a test kit as they are being consumed by the algae. I would increase the frequency of water changes to get the problem under control. Then perhaps add a GFO reactor when you have the time

2. Click Here!

3. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i think what im going to do is
    shorten my lighting schedule
    feed my fish more carfully
    buy all things i need one at a time
    also is a ro/di unit necessary

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

If you feed frozen do you rinse the food once thawed with tank water? I noticed a huge difference once I started. I don't know about all foods but whatever they are frozen in can contain a lot of phosphates.

5. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i feed my fish with frozen food but i defrost them with tap water.

6. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

After they defrost, pour them through in a seive, then rinse them with a cup of tank water. As they defrost in the wate,r whatever phosphates are there just end up in the water, then you pour them into the tank. Also I wouldn't use tap water, this is also a source of nutrients for the algae. As mentioned RO/DI is much better.

I know it sounds like these are all little things. And they are. But they all add up to a bad algae infestation as you have found out.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Wait, what kinda of water are you using? a rodi unit is 100% necessary unless you like battling a problem like this!;)

8. Click Here!

9. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

tap water from my fridge

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

dude there ya go! that's probably 99% of your problem! i'd get a RODI unit ASAP, then get some purigen/seachem stuff kicking real soon help kick the phosphate/nitrates out sooner! But ya can't use that water and not expect this to keep happening!

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ask vinnyboombatz about the best combo of that! but i think its purigen and seachem something! But you're best bet is to get to a lfs and get a ton of RODI water, buy a RODI unit, and do some massive atwer changes over the next few weeks! no promises but should help! also a CUC! sorry but this hobby ain't cheap to do right!

12. ferretfish

ferretfish Sea Dragon

i had a really good clean up crew but on of my fish gota taste of hermit crabs and ate them all. also the batch of snails that i had were really stupid becuase like 3 of them got stuck in my live rock and the other 3 fell on there back in parts of the tank i couldnot reach.
    also i noticed diatitoms in my tank today