Urgent What's WRONG with my poor Cardinal???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by MoJoe, Aug 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hey guys,

I've never posted in the ASAP forum before, thankfully. However, one of my Banggai Cardinals has been developing strange issues around the corner flaps of its gills. I believe this is my male whom is always holding eggs as I have a mated pair. I'd say a few weeks ago my gf mentioned it's gills looked swollen and odd. I didn't pay much mind as I was busy and thought he was just holding.

Well, yesterday I took a good look at it and it doesn't look well. It's gill flaps are definitely swollen around the top edges, and they bulge out when you look at it head-on. It also has developed a white-cottony bump on its left side as well.

It has been eating well (voracious as always) and is just as active as its always been, so far this problem has not affected its behavior at all over the past few weeks.

Here are the best pics I could manage of it, I"ve circled the areas (click the attached to view larger versions), PLEASE help if you can, I'm worried this is something that will affect my other fish:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Could be lymphositis possibly.

4. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

5. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

6. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Could it be a type of parasitic worm? Horny Headed Worm? Anchor Worm?

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the quick help everyone, I'm fairly sure it's lymphositis after reading up on it. There isn't a cure for it, seems it has to run it's course. The positive thing is most fish can recover from it so I have my fingers crossed and will monitor it.

Thanks again!

8. Click Here!

9. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

If you don't already, soak its food in garlic. It'll definitely help out.

10. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

not sure if I can make much help of the illness, but that looks like a female. the jaw is not as pronounced and the rear dorsal is not super long like my male.

11. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

i would take to my LFS so they can quarantine, worse case scenario is cardinal fish are cheap, i would not want something like that "running its coarse" in my tank. looks like Ich to me, I've lost a 55g Lake Tanganyika cichlid & planted aquarium to Ich, even took hold of my plants and my tiger plecostomus, very upsetting

12. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

It's definitely not ich. If it is Lymphocystis, it will go away on it's own if the fish is in good condition. QT is not necessary, and garlic will only help if the fish is not eating, but it will make your skimmate SUPER stinky.