Urgent What's wrong with my fish?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Seano Hermano, Sep 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Is it near the powerhead?

2. Click Here!

3. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

What about lack oxygen problem?
    Ammonia? Perhaps?
    Stray Voltage comes into mind with those new powerheads... Maybe remove them and see if any improvement occurs?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I was thinking that too, but would still like to see a pic tomorrow.

5. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Did you wash the power heads off before using them?? maybe mold release agent on them . the first such power heads i added to my system killed a fish i had, since then i wash all new power heads and any thing else i add to the tank since, and have not had this problem again.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yes, she is at thet top, back right corner of the tank - between the heater & the new powerhead, close to the surface. This is why I thought maybe lack of O2 levels.
    I have no way to test for O2 levels. I was somewhat disappointed when I added the powerheads in as there is now less surface agitation that I got with the air line tubing. Should I turn that back on? I had it so the bubbles would float to the surface, thus moving the water line.

I couldn't feel a shock when my hand was in the tank, but I need to test for voltage. I'm at my mom's today. When I go back to my dad's tonight, I'll use his volt meter.9testing params then too)

The fish seems to bee quite a bit more active today, swimming around the tank.

I didn't wash the powerheads. :-/

I have a video... I'm not sure that will be of much help though. Patricia(the fish) just won't stay still for long enough for me to get a picture..

7. Seano Hermano

Reeron, here are the params...

high range pH:8.2
    nitrate:25
    nitrite:0
    ammonia:0

The fish seems to be more active now. I've also done a WC today.

8. Click Here!

9. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

what about voltage?
    ( even if you dont feel it with your fingers it might still be there.)

try pointing your power heads upwards or something like that and maybe your water agitation will get better.

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Still no pics?

Your parameters look ok, but I'd like to see Nitrates below 20 for a FOWLR (less if you are going to do corals). I'd try hooking up the air pump again and see how that goes, or point at least one of the powerheads slightly up.

Still no pics? :)

Also, Spirulina is very important for Dwarf Angels. I recommend OSI Spirulina flakes as I have had excellent success with feeding it to CB Angels and Flame Angels (never had either one live less than 6 years). Make sure that Spirulina is either the 1st or 2nd ingredient. I've seen some Spirulina products where it was 4th or 5th on the list. Not much Spirulina in those.

Did I ask for pics yet? :p

11. Seano Hermano

lol. Sorry for no pics yet, Reeron. I suck at taking pictures of fish. :-/

Voltage..I'll test for it in a bit. just a thought...if it is stray voltage, why would the fish be next to the possible source of voltage? Why not the opposite side?

The somewhat high nitrates...I think I said I was having a problem with aglae.

Here's a pic of the fish. She's under some rocks in a cave thing I made. She's hugging to the side of the rock in this pic...Need I worry? :-/ Because I do.
    [​IMG]

12. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I cant quite see the fish.. but im guessing he/she is stressed.. Try taking your Powerheads out for a day or 2 and see if he gets better. If he does than its probably voltage.