What's wrong with my Coral Beauty Angelfish?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Bogie, Feb 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

When i bought him on Saturday, he had nice big purple lips and looked completely normal. He's spent much of his time hiding in/underneath the liverock in my tank. Tonight I noticed his lips are all messed up and has a white spot on his left side, and some maybe some whitish stuff on the lower part of his gills. Are his lips messed up from picking at algae on the LR, or is this something to be seriously concerned about. If it's a disease, I don't want it spreading to my other fish. I have no hospital tank to put him in for tonight (the 10 gal and smaller heater is still at my parents house). Any ideas?[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Get him a cleaner shrimp. Seriously. My CB alway ends up getting something and the shrimp cleans him right up. They love each other, and I don't have to stress anyone out by medicating.

4. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

seriously, that will do it? I can get one at my LFS tomorrow.
    I have 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 blue hippo tang, 2 misbared clowns, +9 blue hermit crabs, + 15 assted snails. Are you sure I'll have no problems with the cleaner shrimp, even if I add corals to the tank later? Thanks a billion. BTW - a cleaner shrimp will take care of this mouth disease?, but what is it?

5. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

you shouldnt have any problem with a cleaner shrimp in that tank, I'll have to let others ID the problem and if the shrimp will fix it, if you like cleaner shrimps though you might as well get one and see if it helps...he will help your other fish as well then...

6. mandarin11

I wouldn't try to ID the lip, but yeah, my shrimp cleans all that stuff off my CB. He's gone through ick a few times and sometimes gets some white blotches on him, but the shrimp cleans him up over night and the fish never seems to suffer. I would medicate him if he showed signs of suffering, but since the shrimp takes care of all of it I figure I'd just stress him out and make it worse. Oh yeah, and the shrimp won't hurt corals, they're actually recommended for reef tanks, the skunk cleaners anyways.

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

you guys rock. tomorrow i'll be picking up a little red cleaner shrimp. i'll let you know if that does the trick.

8. Click Here!

9. mandarin11

He should, I've had yet to hear of a cleaner shrimp that didn't clean.:) Update us tomorrow.

10. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

Ditto mine does a great job!

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I don't think he's going to make it until tomorrow. I just found him lying on his side breathing, and noticed another whitish mark on his other side. He had been hiding in a LR "cave" most of the time since I had him, and came out to investigate the new tank only occassionally. I have never seen him lying on his side on the live sand (behind a LR) though, and he netted up pretty easily, not trying at all to escape. I seriously doubt he's going to last the night and I don't want him dying in the tank while I'm asleep and causing an ammonia spike in addition to infecting the other fish. I have some old (from 8+ yrs ago (probably expired?) Rid Ich+, so I'm putting the CB in a bucket with the rid ich for the night and going to keep a thermometer in it and an incandescant light over it to keep it warm. Any oppositions to this? This fish needs help quick.

12. mandarin11

Don't leave the fish in there overnight! Is Rid-Ich even for saltwater? I think its for freshwater. Do you have any copper medicine? For use in a separate tank of course like a quarantine? Honestly I'd toss the Rid-Ich because of the age. If you're going to try anything maybe a freshwater dip. A dip mind you not an overnight stay. Hope he pulls through.