What's wrong with my clown??

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by 75galreef, Jul 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 75galreef

75galreef Astrea Snail

After treating ick in my tank for a week with kordon Ick Attack. My fish were all getting better. I did a water change and now all of a sudden they are dying. I lost a my clown fish pair today. What was wrong with them? No ick spots to be seen. They all were eating when I left yesterday morning. They were in bad shape when I got home from work. Their eyes looked cloudy and it looked like they were losing their slime coating? My parameters were good. Only my salinity was a little off. Since the tank was doing so well thus far, I'm not sure what happened. I would like to know the cause so that I can prevent it from happening again.

CIMG1399.jpg

CIMG1400.jpg

CIMG1401.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

To be able to try to pin-point the problem, we would need a boat-load of info first. We need every possible info on your system, from how old it is to your water changes habits.

Luna

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It could just be the salinity swing from your water change. Like Luna said though we need as much info as you have about your system it could be a lot of things. Did you treat the ich in your display tank?

5. 75galreef

75galreef Astrea Snail

My tank was started on 4/6/09. I let it cycle for a month and a half. In between the first month, I added my live rock in 3 stages. I added 4 chromis and cleanup crew. All of my testings have always shown good results (usually test every 3-4 days). A couple of weeks later I added two percula clowns and they adjusted well. I would always top off with r/o water from the LFS. Water changes every 3 weeks or so. I would feed them in the morning and when I would come home from work. Only as much as they would eat. They have always eaten well with no problems. I feed them formula 1, dried marine algae, and sometime mysis shrimp.
    I added a yellow tang and six line wrase at 2 1/2 months. A sailfin goby at 3 months. I really had no problems other than a small ick outbreak on my tang which I treated with the kordon reef safe. It went away. I just recently purchased a kole tang and a royal gramma. The only thing I have done different was buying some frozen food from petco that the fish wouldnt eat so I returned it and got the usual food from my other LFS.
    When my kole came down with ick, I began treating as usual and adding garlic to their food. All was fine until a week later when the kole came down with ick again, but this time some of the other fish were sick too. I continued to treat with kordon. Three days later the kole died. At 5 days the gramma died. I did a 15 gal water change (added 1.026 water from LFS)and everything went downhill from there. It was like one day they were fine and eating. The next they weren't looking good at all. My clowns were ok in the morning and sick when I returned home. They did not have ick, but something else was wrong.
    Not sure what I did wrong. Maybe didn't keep maintenance up good enough or didn't test frequently enough? Did I have too many fish?? I will definately learn from this experience to get things correct with my tank. I also realized how helpless you feel when your fish are dying right in front of you. I guess i'm still a newbie.
    I decided to get a 10 gal tank to treat with cupramine, but it was too late. Now I will place any new fish in the QT tank before adding to DT( should have listened to 3reef at first). How long should they stay there? What should I do to the DT water, another water change?

6. tkeck

tkeck Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

7. 75galreef

75galreef Astrea Snail

That's what it was. Looks like it all boils down to QT any fish before adding to the DT. Thanks,..lesson learned.